Five international stories of the week

A woman talks to a healthcare worker before getting tested for COVID-19 at a sampling station in Prague, Czech Republic, Monday, Sept. 21, 2020. The country coped well with the first wave of the coronavirus infections in the spring but has been facing a record surge of the new confirmed cases last week. (AP Photo/Petr David Josek)

Editor’s Note: This listicle is part of a weekly series by The Ball State Daily News summarizing five stories from around the world. All summaries are based on stories published by The Associated Press.

India's Natural Disaster Response Force searches for survivors trapped in a residential building collapse, a pro-democracy plaque in Thailand is removed, people in Berlin march for migrants in Greece, European countries try new measures to contain the coronavirus and military commanders of India and China meet regarding their border standoff make up this week's five international stories.

Rescuers look for survivors after a residential building collapsed in Bhiwandi in Thane district, a suburb of Mumbai, India, Monday, Sept.21, 2020. (AP Photo/Praful Gangurde)

At least 10 dead in residential building collapse in India

A residential building that was due for repairs collapsed in central India early Monday, killing at least 10 people and trapping many others, officials said. Around 20-25 people are feared to be trapped under the rubble of the four-story building in Maharashtra state that collapsed at around 4 a.m., said India’s National Disaster Response Force. Satya Narayan Pradhan, director general of the National Disaster Response Force, shared photos and videos of the ongoing rescue operation on Twitter and said that so far eight survivors, including a 7-year-old boy, had been rescued.

A man walks near a hole at the Sanam Luang field in Bangkok, Thailand, Monday, Sept. 21, 2020. Pro-democracy student leaders install a plaque declaring "This country belongs to the people" at the Sanam Luang field during a protest in Bangkok, Thailand, Sunday, Sept. 20, 2020 that was removed less than 24 hours later. (AP Photo/Sakchai Lalit)

Plaque symbolizing Thai democracy removed in less than a day

A plaque honoring struggles for democracy in Thailand was removed from a royal field less than 24 hours after being installed by anti-government protesters and was submitted as evidence in connection with a complaint by officials that its installation was illegal, police said Monday. The plaque had been installed Sunday at Sanam Luang, the historic field in the capital where tens of thousands of people rallied peacefully over the weekend. The two-day demonstration was the largest this year by protesters who are calling for new elections and reform of the monarchy.

Participants in a demonstration of an alliance for the immediate evacuation of all Greek camps hold protest signs in Berlin, Germany, Sunday, Sept.20, 2020. The alliance of Pro Asyl, the Berlin pier and other groups is calling on the federal government to stop blocking the reception of local and state authorities. (Joerg Carstensen/dpa via AP)

Thousands march in Berlin in support of refugees in Greece

Thousands of people marched in Berlin on Sunday demanding that the government do more to help migrants stuck in Greece, many of whom have been made homeless since fires ravaged the country’s largest refugee camp. The crowd marched through the capital to the landmark Victory Column carrying signs with slogans like “we have space” and “Seehofer, be a Christian” — a reference to Interior Minister Horst Seehofer. A little girl held a sign saying “let the people in” while a woman waved a placard saying “People are suffering, Fortress Europe looks on — and cuddles up to the right.”

A local police stops a vehicle at a checkpoint in Madrid, Spain, Monday, Sept. 21, 2020. Police in the Spanish capital and its surrounding towns are stopping people coming in and out of working-class neighborhoods that have been partially locked down to stem Europe's fastest coronavirus spread. (AP Photo/Bernat Armangue)

Europe scrambles to contain rise in coronavirus cases

Political pressure grew Monday in Europe for governments to tackle the rising number of coronavirus case without resorting to a spring-style lockdown that would hit the continent’s struggling economies. Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez met Monday with the president of the Madrid region, Isabel Díaz Ayuso, to coordinate a stronger response to the outbreaks as the country struggles to contain a second wave of the virus. Police in the Spanish capital and its surrounding towns are stopping people coming in and out of working-class neighborhoods that have been partially locked down to combat Europe’s fastest coronavirus spread.

FILE- This Sept. 14, 2018 file photo shows Pangong Lake in Ladakh region, India. Senior Indian and Chinese military commanders are holding talks Monday to find ways to resolve a monthslong tense standoff between the rival soldiers along their disputed mountain border in mountainous Ladakh region. (AP Photo/Manish Swarup, File)

India, China commanders meet again on ending border standoff

Senior Indian and Chinese military commanders are holding talks Monday aimed at resolving a tense monthslong standoff along their disputed border in the mountainous Ladakh region. Details of the talks, held on the Chinese side in the Moldo area facing the Indian-controlled Ladakh region, weren’t immediately disclosed. For the first time, a senior Indian foreign ministry official was also participating in the military-level meeting, said an Indian official, speaking on condition of anonymity in line with government regulations. There was no information immediately available from Beijing.