Muncie's St. Patrick's Day parade to be postponed amid COVID-19 concerns

<p>Participants walk and ride down Walnut Street March 16, 2019, for St. Patrick's Day celebrations. The 2020 St. Patrick's Day parade in Muncie has been postponed due to COVID-19 concerns. <strong>Kamryn Tomlinson, DN File</strong></p>

Participants walk and ride down Walnut Street March 16, 2019, for St. Patrick's Day celebrations. The 2020 St. Patrick's Day parade in Muncie has been postponed due to COVID-19 concerns. Kamryn Tomlinson, DN File

Muncie's annual St. Patrick's Day parade, previously scheduled to take place Saturday, has been postponed, according to statement released on the City of Muncie's Facebook page.

This decision by the Downtown Development Partnership, the City of Muncie and the Delaware County Health Department was made "in the best interest of our citizens' health and after careful consideration and conversations," it states.

Downtown Development and the City of Muncie will be reviewing the status of COVID-19 after a few weeks and will assess a new time and date for the parade, the statement reads.

Cities around the United States and elsewhere have canceled their St. Patrick's Day parade celebration — like New York City, Boston, Chicago and the Irish capital of Dublin, according to Associated Press reports.

In Indianapolis, the Athletic Club Foundation canceled all St. Patrick's Day celebration events, according to its website.

As of March 11, Indiana State Department of Health has conducted 64 tests for the coronavirus with 12 cases testing positive for the virus. There have been zero deaths in Indiana.