5 international stories of the week

<p>Indians ride two wheelers through smoke as municipal workers fumigate an area as a precautionary measure against the spread of new coronavirus March 16, 2020, in Jammu, India. For most people, the new coronavirus causes only mild or moderate symptoms. For some, it can cause more severe illness, especially in older adults and people with existing health problems.<strong> (AP Photo/Channi Anand)</strong></p>

Indians ride two wheelers through smoke as municipal workers fumigate an area as a precautionary measure against the spread of new coronavirus March 16, 2020, in Jammu, India. For most people, the new coronavirus causes only mild or moderate symptoms. For some, it can cause more severe illness, especially in older adults and people with existing health problems. (AP Photo/Channi Anand)

Editor’s Note: This listicle is part of a weekly series by The Ball State Daily News summarizing five stories from around the world. All summaries are based on stories published by The Associated Press.

Asia's concerns to retain hard-won gains following the virus outbreak, the Syrian civil war, the Peace Corps pulling out volunteers, the fall of global stock markets and Israel swearing in its new parliament make up this week’s five international stories.

A member of Indonesian Red Cross sprays disinfectant in the wake of coronavirus outbreak at a school March 16, 2020, in Jakarta, Indonesia. Indonesia's capital city announced a lockdown of all tourist destinations and entertainment as well as the closing all of its public schools for the next 14 days amid the global outbreak. (AP Photo/Dita Alangkara)

Asia urges vigilance to keep hard-won gains against virus

As millions of people in Europe, the United States and beyond began holing up at home, stocking up on supplies and keeping a wary eye on how close they get to friends and neighbors, the coronavirus outbreak marked a distinct shift in focus Monday, with China’s total infections reported at less than half of the rest of the world’s. Many in Asia continue to urge vigilance against anything that might hurt hard-won gains.

Read more: Asia

In this March 12, 2020 photo, women walk in a neighborhood heavily damaged by airstrikes in Idlib, Syria. Idlib city is the last urban area still under opposition control in Syria, located in a shrinking rebel enclave in the northwestern province of the same name. (AP Photo/Felipe Dana)

‘There is nothing now’: Syrians in Idlib fear end nearing

“There’s nothing now. Nothing at all,” said Yasser Aboud, as he dumped his family’s belonging on the floor of the single room that would now be their home in the northwest Syrian city of Idlib, the last urban area still under opposition control in Syria, located in a shrinking rebel enclave in the northwestern province. Syria’s civil war has shrunk in geographical scope — focusing on this tiny corner of the country — but the misery wreaked by the conflict has not diminished.

Read more: Syria

In this 2017 file photo, volunteers of U.S. Peace Corps wearing Ukrainian national costumes attend a ceremony as they swear an oath of allegiance in Kiev, Ukraine. The Peace Corps is telling its volunteers around the world that it is suspending all operations globally and evacuating all volunteers in light of the spread of the new coronavirus. (AP Photo/Efrem Lukatsky, File)

Peace Corps evacuating volunteers worldwide amid outbreak

The Peace Corps is telling its volunteers around the world that it is suspending all operations globally and evacuating all volunteers in light of the spread of the new coronavirus. In an open letter to volunteers posted Sunday on its website, the federal agency’s director, Jody Olsen, says that with evacuations now underway at other posts and travel becoming more challenging by the day, the agency decided to expand the suspension and evacuations.

Read more: Virus outbreak

A woman wearing face mask walks past a bank electronic board showing the Hong Kong share index March 16, 2020, at Hong Kong Stock Exchange. Asian stock markets and U.S. futures fell Monday after the Federal Reserve slashed its key interest rate to shore up economic growth in the face of mounting global anti-virus controls that are shutting down business and travel. (AP Photo/Vincent Yu)

Global stock market, US futures fall after after Fed rate cut

Global stock markets and U.S. futures fell Monday after central bank moves to shore up economic growth failed to dispel investor’s fears over anti-virus controls that are shutting down global business and travel. There were no glimmers of optimism: Paris tumbled 9% shortly after the open, London sank 7% and Frankfurt gave up 7.5%. In Asian trading, Sydney’s benchmark plunged 9.7%, Hong Kong’s Hang Seng lost 3.4% and India shed 5.9%.

Read more: Financial markets

Ultra Orthodox Jews pray at the Western Wall March 15, 2020, in Jerusalem. Israel imposed sweeping travel and quarantine measures more than a week ago but has seen its number of confirmed coronavirus cases double in recent days, to around 200. (AP Photo/Mahmoud Illean)

Israel to swear in new parliament under coronavirus shadow

Israel was to swear in its newly elected parliament on Monday under stringent restrictions because of the coronavirus outbreak in what was expected to be a surreal ceremony reflecting the country’s unprecedented dual crisis in politics and public health. Instead of the typical festive gathering, the new lawmakers will be staggered into the plenum in 40 rounds of three each to abide by the health ministry’s guidelines of limiting public gatherings to 10 people at a time.

Read more: Israel