5 national stories of the week

<p>American flags blow in wind around the Washington Monument with the U.S. Capitol in the background at sunrise Jan. 20, 2020, in Washington. The impeachment trial of President Donald Trump will resume in the U.S. Senate on Jan. 21. <strong>(AP Photo/Jon Elswick)</strong></p>

American flags blow in wind around the Washington Monument with the U.S. Capitol in the background at sunrise Jan. 20, 2020, in Washington. The impeachment trial of President Donald Trump will resume in the U.S. Senate on Jan. 21. (AP Photo/Jon Elswick)

Editor’s Note: This listicle is part of a weekly series by The Ball State Daily News summarizing five stories from across the United States. All summaries are based on stories published by The Associated Press.

The impeachment trial of President Donald Trump, Democratic presidential candidates marching together for MLK Jr. Day, updates on Harvey Weinstein’s trial, federal funding for the drug addiction crisis and the Screen Actors Guild Awards make up this week’s five national stories.

President Donald Trump waves as he leaves the White House, Jan. 20, 2020, in Washington to attend the annual economic forum in Davos, Switzerland. (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta)

Trump impeachment trial to begin with rules fight, long days

President Donald Trump’s impeachment trial is set to unfold at the Capitol, a contentious proceeding to render judgment on his Ukraine actions as Americans form their own verdict at the start of an election year. As the Senate reconvenes with Chief Justice John Roberts presiding over the rare impeachment court, senators sworn to “impartial justice,” the legacy of Trump’s presidency and the system of checks and balances are at stake before a politically divided nation.

Read More: Trump impeachment

Democratic presidential rivals Amy Klobuchar, Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders link arms during a Martin Luther King Jr. Day march Jan. 20, 2020, in Columbia, S.C. (AP Photo/Meg Kinnard)

2020 Democratic contenders link arms in MLK Jr. Day march

Democratic presidential candidates hit pause on their recent feuds Monday as they walked together through the streets of Columbia, South Carolina, to honor Martin Luther King Jr. and rally around their push to defeat President Donald Trump in November. For a few hours, the squabbling among the White House hopefuls over who is best positioned to defeat Trump gave way to a united condemnation of how they perceive he has handled America’s racial divide.

Read more: Election 2020

In this Jan. 14, 2020 photo, Dr. Barbara Ziv, a sex crimes expert who was the first witness at Bill Cosby's sexual assault retrial, poses for a photograph in Philadelphia. She is is expected to testify at Harvey Weinstein's trial in New York. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)

#MeToo prosecutors deploy experts early to thwart defense

When his trial opens, Harvey Weinstein’s defense team is expected to go on the offensive against the women who have accused him of rape and sexual assault, in part by questioning if they acted like victims afterward. New York City prosecutors intend to counter with a strategy that’s taken hold since the 2018 retrial of comedian Bill Cosby: calling a sex crimes expert as a witness to dispel assumptions about how rape and sexual assault victims behave after an attack.

Read more: Harvey Weinstein

In this Aug. 29, 2019, file photo, members of the Coast Guard stand near seized cocaine in Los Angeles. The nation's drug addiction crisis has been morphing in a deadly new direction: more Americans struggling with meth and cocaine. (AP Photo/Chris Carlson, file)

Feds allow use of opioid funds to stem meth, cocaine surge

Alarmed by a deadly new twist in the drug addiction crisis, the government will allow states to use federal money earmarked for the opioid epidemic to help growing numbers of people struggling with meth and cocaine. The change is buried in a massive spending bill passed by Congress late last year. Lawmakers of both parties and the Trump administration agreed to broaden the scope of a $1.5 billion grant program previously restricted to the opioid crisis.

Read More: Drug addiction

Park So-dam, from left, Lee Sun Gyun, Choi Woo-shik, Lee Jeong-eun and Kang-Ho Song accept the award for outstanding performance by a cast in a motion picture for "Parasite" at the 26th annual Screen Actors Guild Awards at the Shrine Auditorium &amp; Expo Hall Jan. 19, 2020, in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Chris Pizzello)

‘Parasite’ wins at SAG Awards, so do Pitt, Aniston

Bong Joon Ho’s Korean class satire “Parasite” became the first foreign language film to take top honors from the Screen Actors Guild Sunday, setting itself up as a legitimate best picture contender to the front-runner, “1917,” at next month’s Academy Awards. Before the win for “Parasite,” the SAG Awards were most notable as a reunion for Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston, who each took home awards and celebrated the other’s win.

Read More: Entertainment