5 international stories of the week

<p>Poland's President Andrzej Duda walks along with survivors through the gates of the Auschwitz Nazi concentration camp Jan. 27, 2020, in Oswiecim, Poland. Survivors of the Auschwitz-Birkenau death camp gathered for commemorations marking the 75th anniversary of the Soviet army's liberation of the camp, using the testimony of survivors to warn about the signs of rising anti-Semitism and hatred in the world today. <strong>(AP Photo/Czarek Sokolowski)</strong></p>

Poland's President Andrzej Duda walks along with survivors through the gates of the Auschwitz Nazi concentration camp Jan. 27, 2020, in Oswiecim, Poland. Survivors of the Auschwitz-Birkenau death camp gathered for commemorations marking the 75th anniversary of the Soviet army's liberation of the camp, using the testimony of survivors to warn about the signs of rising anti-Semitism and hatred in the world today. (AP Photo/Czarek Sokolowski)

Editor’s Note: This listicle is part of a weekly series by The Ball State Daily News summarizing five stories from around the world. All summaries are based on stories published by The Associated Press.

China’s attempts to contain the spread of a viral disease, the 75th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz, the U.K.’s preparations for Brexit, the earthquake in Turkey and memories of Kobe Bryant’s upbringing in Italy make up this week’s five international stories.

Paramilitary police wear face masks as they stand guard at Tiananmen Gate adjacent to Tiananmen Square Jan. 27, 2020, in Beijing. China expanded sweeping efforts to contain a viral disease by postponing the end of this week's Lunar New Year holiday. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)

China extends holiday to contain virus as death toll rises

China Monday expanded sweeping efforts to contain a viral disease by extending the Lunar New Year holiday to keep the public at home and avoid spreading infection as the death toll rose to 80, with more than 2,700 cases of the virus confirmed in the country. In the United States, there were five confirmed cases, two in southern California and one each in Washington state, Chicago and Arizona. More than 40 cases were reported in other countries with no deaths so far.

Read more: China

Survivors carry a wreath at the Auschwitz Nazi death camp Jan. 27, 2020, in Oswiecim, Poland. Survivors of the Auschwitz-Birkenau death camp gathered for commemorations marking the 75th anniversary of the Soviet army's liberation of the camp. (AP Photo/Czarek Sokolowski)

Survivors return to Auschwitz 75 years after liberation

Survivors of the Auschwitz-Birkenau death camp gathered Monday for commemorations marking the 75th anniversary of the liberation of the camp, using the testimony of survivors to warn about the signs of rising anti-Semitism and hatred in the world today. In all, more than 200 survivors of the camp are expected, many of them elderly Jews who have traveled far from homes in Israel, the United States, Australia, Peru, Russia, Slovenia and elsewhere.

Read more: Anti-Semitism

In this 2018 file photo, scaffolding surrounds the Queen Elizabeth Tower, which holds the bell known as Big Ben, in London. Brexit-backing lawmakers are campaigning for it to strike at the moment Britain leaves the European Union — 11 p.m. Jan. 31. (AP Photo/Alastair Grant, file)

Ringing in Brexit? Plans to celebrate UK exit divide country

As the United Kingdom prepares to leave the European Union Friday, people are divided over how to mark a historic moment. For pro-Europeans, departure at 11 p.m. Jan. 31 will be the melancholy moment Britain abandons a project that brought once-warring European nations together, among other things. For Brexit supporters, it will be the instant the U.K. once again becomes a sovereign nation after 47 years of membership in the EU.

Read more: Brexit

Rescuers search for people buried under the rubble on a collapsed building Jan. 25, 2020, after an earthquake struck Elazig, eastern Turkey. Emergency workers and security forces distributed tents, beds and blankets as overnight temperatures dropped below freezing in the affected areas. (IHH/ Humanitarian Relief Foundation via AP)

Turkish teams hunt for quake survivors as death toll hits 38

Working against the clock in freezing temperatures, Turkish rescue teams pulled more survivors from collapsed buildings Sunday, days after a powerful magnitude 6.8 earthquake hit the country’s east. Turkish authorities said the death toll rose to at least 38 people from the earthquake that struck Friday night. The quake also injured more than 1,600 people, but at least 45 survivors have been pulled alive from the rubble so far.

Read more: Turkey

In this 2011 file photo, U.S. basketball star Kobe Bryant plays with a ball during a sponsor's appearance in Milan, Italy. In Europe where Bryant grew up, the retired NBA star is being remembered for his "Italian qualities." (AP Photo/Luca Bruno, File)

In Europe, Kobe Bryant recalled for his ‘Italian qualities’

In Europe, where Kobe Bryant grew up, the retired NBA star was being remembered for his “Italian qualities.” Bryant lived in Italy between the ages of 6 and 13 while his father, Joe Bryant, played for several teams in the country before returning to Pennsylvania for high school. Kobe Bryant spoke fluent Italian and often said it would be a “dream” to play in the country. Bryant died Sunday in a helicopter crash near Calabasas, California, at age 41. 

Read more: Kobe Bryant