5 international stories of the week

<p>A policeman in riot gear detains a protester outside of Hong Kong Polytechnic University as police storm the campus in Hong Kong, early Monday, Nov. 18, 2019. Fiery explosions were seen early Monday as Hong Kong police stormed into a university held by protesters after an all-night standoff. <strong>(AP Photo/Kin Cheung)</strong></p>

A policeman in riot gear detains a protester outside of Hong Kong Polytechnic University as police storm the campus in Hong Kong, early Monday, Nov. 18, 2019. Fiery explosions were seen early Monday as Hong Kong police stormed into a university held by protesters after an all-night standoff. (AP Photo/Kin Cheung)

Editor’s Note: This listicle is part of a weekly series by The Ball State Daily News summarizing five stories from around the world. All summaries are based on stories published by The Associated Press.

The Hong Kong protests, immigration at the U.S.-Mexico border, Pope Francis’ decree on poverty, the flooded streets of Venice and Russian interference in the 2016 Brexit vote make up this week’s five international stories.

Protestors hurl molotov cocktails as armored police vehicles approach their barricades on a bridge over a highway leading to the Cross Harbour Tunnel in Hong Kong, Sunday, Nov. 17, 2019. A Hong Kong police officer was hit in the leg by an arrow Sunday as authorities used tear gas and water cannons to try to drive back protesters occupying a university campus and blocking a major road tunnel under the city's harbor. (AP Photo/Kin Cheung)

Hong Kong police storm university held by protesters

Police breached a Hong Kong university campus held by protesters early Monday after an all-night siege that included firing repeated barrages of tear gas and water cannons. Anti-government protesters have barricaded themselves inside Hong Kong Polytechnic University for days. Police surrounded the area Sunday night and began moving in after issuing an ultimatum for people to leave the area.

Read more: Hong Kong

In this Sept. 17, 2019 photo, a U.S. border patrol officer directs a Nicaraguan migrant family, who is applying for asylum in the U.S., over International Bridge 1 from Nuevo Laredo, Mexico into Laredo, Texas, for an interview with immigration officials. The U.S. has set limits on applicants for asylum, slowing the number to a mere trickle, while the policy known colloquially as “Remain in Mexico,” has meant the return of more than 55,000 asylum-seekers to the country while their requests meander through backlogged courts. (AP Photo/Fernando Llano)

Migrants stuck in lawless limbo within sight of America

In years past, migrants moved quickly through the violent territory of the lawless border state of Tamaulipas in Mexico on their way to the United States. Now, due to the policies of President Donald Trump’s administration, they remain there for weeks and sometimes months as they await their U.S. court dates, often in the hands of the gangsters who hold the area in a vise-like grip. Here, migrants in limbo are prey and a boon to smugglers.

Read more: Immigration

Pope Francis sits at a table during a lunch, in the Paul VI Hall at the Vatican, Sunday, Nov. 17, 2019. Pope Francis is offering several hundred poor people, homeless, migrants, unemployed a lunch on Sunday as he celebrates the World Day of the Poor with a concrete gesture of charity in the spirit of his namesake, St. Francis of Assisi. (AP Photo/Alessandra Tarantino)

Pope decries that ‘greed of a few’ worsens poverty of others

Pope Francis Sunday decried the “greed of a few” wealthy people is compounding the plight of the poor before sharing a meal with the jobless and the homeless that has become a tradition of his papacy. Celebrating a Mass in St. Peter’s Basilica dedicated to heightening awareness about poor people worldwide, he lamented the lack of concern about growing income gaps between the haves and have-nots.

Read more: Pope Francis

A couple stands in a golden sunset in Venice, Italy, Sunday, Nov. 17, 2019, just hours after an exceptional 1.5 meter tide receded from nearby St. Mark's Square. It was the third flood topping 1.5 meters this week, following Tuesday's 1.87-meter flood which was the worst in 53 years. (AP Photo/Luca Bruno)

3rd record tide enters Venice as Italy hit with snow, rain

Venice was hit Sunday by a record third exceptional tide in the same week while other parts of Italy struggled with a series of weather woes, from rain-swollen rivers, to high winds, to an out-of-season avalanche. Stores and museums in Venice were mostly closed in the hardest-hit area around St. Mark’s Square, but tourists donned high rubber boots or even hip waders to witness and photograph the spectacle.

Read more: Italy

Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson speaks to staff and students at Bolton University, in Bolton, England, Saturday Nov. 16, 2019, in the aftermath of a major blaze which damaged a student residential building late Friday. A large fire broke out in a student accommodation block of flats known as The Cube late Friday, resulting in two people being treated at the scene. Visiting the scene, Johnson broke from his election campaign trail ahead of the Dec. 12 General Election. (Christopher Furlong/pool via AP)

Leaked Russian interference report raises UK vote questions

Questions about the British government’s failure to release a report on Russia’s interference in the country’s politics continued to dog Prime Minister Boris Johnson, as critics said leaks from the document raised concerns about the security of next month’s election. The report from Parliament’s intelligence committee concludes that Russian interference may have affected the 2016 Brexit referendum, though the impact is “unquantifiable.”

Read more: Boris Johnson