First accumulating snow arrives Monday

At last, the first accumulating snow event of the season has arrived! A cold front will approach East Central Indiana from the northwest, bringing isolated showers tonight and widespread snow tomorrow. The morning will start out mostly dry, but a few rain showers turning into snow will be possible before noon. 

However, as the front nears the region, temperatures will drop below freezing and snow will begin to fall. Most of the area can expect to begin receiving snow by noon on Monday.

Temperatures continue to drop, allowing snow to accumulate in the afternoon and early evening hours.

However, by about 9PM on Monday, the snow will begin to exit the region along with the cold front. A few lingering snow showers will be possible, especially to the northwest. Lake effect snow will ramp up Monday night into Tuesday, but very few impacts are expected for East Central Indiana.

By Monday night, the NewsLink Indiana Weather Team expects roughly 1-2” of snow for most areas, especially for the northern 2/3 of the viewing area. Some locations could pick up 3” or so. Communities south of Muncie near I-70 (such as Henry and Wayne counties) should expect slightly lower totals, with a trace to an inch of snow forecast.

As this is the first snow event of the season, take it slow on the roadways and allow extra travel time! The first snow of the season typically leads to more accidents as residents get acclimated to winter driving, so prepare now. It’s always a good idea to include an emergency kit and warm clothes in your car as well.

The NewsLink Indiana Weather Team is closely tracking this system and will bring you updates as they come in! Be sure to follow us on Twitter @NLIWeather for the most up to date information.

—Assistant Chief Weather Forecaster Gabe Prough

Follow us on Twitter @NLIWeather for breaking weather updates.

NewsLink Indiana is a proud Ambassador for the NOAA Weather-Ready Nation program.

For more information about the Weather-Ready Nation program please click HERE