Ball State UPD chief shares advice on student safety for Halloween

<p>Ball State's Director of public safety Jim Duckham shared advice on how students can keep not only themselves, but their property safe during Halloween. <strong>Unsplash, Photo Courtesy</strong></p>

Ball State's Director of public safety Jim Duckham shared advice on how students can keep not only themselves, but their property safe during Halloween. Unsplash, Photo Courtesy

The cooling weather and changing color of the leaves during the fall season mark the beginning of autumn traditions like Halloween-themed get-togethers and trick-or-treating.

With these traditions, however, there is also a chance for dangerous situations if one is not careful.

Ball State’s Director of public safety Jim Duckham shared advice on how students can keep not only themselves, but their property safe.

For trick-or-treating:

• Make sure the parent and child are aware of visual limitations if they have a mask on.
  • Be cognizant of where a trick-or-treater is running to. Also, be on the lookout for any debris and watch traffic conditions.
  • Make sure costumes are safe and made of fire-retardant materials.
  • Always check a child’s candy before they eat it to ensure it is still wrapped. As a general rule, Duckham said, he doesn’t allow his kids to eat any candy that has already been opened.
  • Check with your community to see what times are scheduled to have trick-or-treaters out collecting candy.

For going out at night:

• Walk in common pedestrian areas and avoid detours into alleys or dark areas. 
  • Make sure costumes are not so elaborate they make movement difficult.  
  • If you find yourself in trouble, dial 911 or call University Police Department’s direct number at 765-285-1111.
  • If you are intoxicated or need to leave somewhere safely, call a friend to pick you up.