5 international stories of the week

<p>Liberal leader Justin Trudeau holds a rally in Milton, Ontario, Canada, on Saturday, Oct. 19, 2019. National elections are scheduled for Monday. <strong>(Sean Kilpatrick/The Canadian Press via AP)</strong></p>

Liberal leader Justin Trudeau holds a rally in Milton, Ontario, Canada, on Saturday, Oct. 19, 2019. National elections are scheduled for Monday. (Sean Kilpatrick/The Canadian Press via AP)

Editor’s Note: This listicle is part of a weekly series by The Ball State Daily News summarizing five stories from around the world. All summaries are based on stories published by The Associated Press.

Canadian elections, U.S. troops in Syria, the Brexit vote, the WikiLeaks founder’s extradition and the enthronement of Japan’s new emperor make up this week’s five international stories.

Conservative leader Andrew Scheer speaks during a rally in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Monday, Oct. 14, 2019. (Adrian Wyld/The Canadian Press via AP)

Canada elects parliament in vote seen as threat to Trudeau

Canadians are electing a new Parliament Monday after a tight election campaign that has raised the threat of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau being knocked from power after one term because of a combination of scandal and high expectations. Polls indicate Trudeau’s Liberal Party could lose to the rival Conservatives or perhaps win but still fail to get a majority of seats in Parliament and have to rely on an opposition party to remain in power.

Read more: Canada

American soldier mount the U.S. flag on a vehicle near the town of Tel Tamr, north Syria, Sunday, Oct. 20, 2019. Kurdish-led fighters and Turkish-backed forces clashed sporadically Sunday in northeastern Syria amid efforts to work out a Kurdish evacuation from a besieged border town, the first pull-back under the terms of a U.S.-brokered cease-fire. (AP Photo/Baderkhan Ahmad)

US troops in Syria heading to Iraq, not home as Trump claims

While President Donald Trump insists he’s bringing home Americans from “endless wars” in the Mideast, his Pentagon chief says all U.S. troops leaving Syria will go to western Iraq, and the American military will continue operations against the Islamic State group. The fight in Syria against IS, once spearheaded by American allied Syrian Kurds who have been cast aside by Trump, will be undertaken by U.S. forces, possibly from neighboring Iraq.

Read more: Syria

Union Jacks and EU flags fly over Britain's Parliament in London, Saturday, Oct. 19, 2019. In a major blow to British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, U.K. lawmakers voted Saturday to postpone a decision on whether to back his Brexit deal with the European Union, throwing a wrench into government plans to leave the bloc at the end of this month. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth)

UK’s Boris Johnson set to push for vote on EU divorce bill

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson was expected to push for a vote on his European Union divorce deal Monday as Parliament geared up for a week of guerrilla warfare over Brexit. With just 10 days to go until the U.K. is due to leave the bloc Oct. 31, Johnson’s government planned to ask for a “straight up-and-down vote” on the EU divorce agreement. That request comes two days after lawmakers voted to delay approving the deal.

Read more: Brexit

Supporters of Wikileaks founder Julian Assange demonstrate outside Westminster Magistrates' Court in London where Assange is expected to appear as he fights extradition to the United States on charges of conspiring to hack into a Pentagon computer, in London, Monday Oct. 21, 2019. U.S. authorities accuse Assange of scheming with former Army intelligence analyst Chelsea Manning to break a password for a classified government computer. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth)

WikiLeaks founder Assange in court to fight extradition

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange appeared in London court Monday to fight extradition to the United States on charges of conspiring to hack into a Pentagon computer, with his legal team saying it needs more time to prepare its case. U.S. authorities accuse Assange of scheming with former Army intelligence analyst Chelsea Manning to break a password for a classified government computer. The case is expected to take months to resolve.

Read more: Julian Assange

FILE - In this Aug. 15, 2019, file photo, Japanese Emperor Naruhito, and Empress Masako, look at Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe bowing during a memorial ceremony for the war dead at Nippon Budokan Martial Arts Hall in Tokyo. (AP Photo/Eugene Hoshiko, File)

Japan set to celebrate Emperor Naruhito’s enthronement

Japan is abuzz ahead of a ceremony Tuesday marking Emperor Naruhito’s ascension to the Chrysanthemum Throne. It is one of several formal ceremonies, which began in May and lasts through the spring for Naruhito, 59, who has been a full-fledged emperor since succeeding in May after the abdication of his father, Akihito. Tuesday’s ceremony allows Naruhito to proclaim himself Japan’s 126th emperor in a ritual dating back to the seventh century.

Read more: Japan