5 international stories of the week

<p>A Turkish youth celebrates with a national flag after news about Syrian town of Tal Abyad, in Turkish border town of Akcakale, in Sanliurfa province, Sunday, Oct. 13, 2019. Turkey's official Anadolu news agency, meanwhile, said Turkey-backed Syrian forces have advanced into the center of a Syrian border town, Tal Abyad, on the fifth day of Turkey's military offensive. <strong>(Ismail Coskun/IHA via AP)</strong></p>

A Turkish youth celebrates with a national flag after news about Syrian town of Tal Abyad, in Turkish border town of Akcakale, in Sanliurfa province, Sunday, Oct. 13, 2019. Turkey's official Anadolu news agency, meanwhile, said Turkey-backed Syrian forces have advanced into the center of a Syrian border town, Tal Abyad, on the fifth day of Turkey's military offensive. (Ismail Coskun/IHA via AP)

Editor’s Note: This listicle is part of a weekly series by The Ball State Daily News summarizing five stories from around the world. All summaries are based on stories published by The Associated Press.

The Turkish invasion of northern Syria, the typhoon that hit Japan, Brexit talks and Queen Elizabeth II’s speech, protests in Ecuador and Spain’s trial of Catalan secessionists make up this week’s five international stories.

With airstrikes and artillery, Turkey has launched an offensive aimed at crushing Kurdish fighters in northern Syria. Associated Press, Photo Courtesy

Syrian army moves to confront Turkish forces as US withdraws

Syria’s army deployed near the Turkish border on Monday, hours after Syrian Kurdish forces previously allied with the U.S. said they had reached a deal with Damascus to help them fend off Turkey’s invasion. The announcement of a deal between Syria’s Kurds and its government is a major shift in alliances that came after President Donald Trump ordered all U.S. troops withdrawn from the northern border area amid the rapidly deepening chaos.

Read more: Syria

Residents Kazuo Saito, right, and Sumiko Saito clean up their home Monday, Oct. 14, 2019, in Kawagoe City, Japan. Typhoon Hagibis dropped record amounts of rain for a period in some spots, according to meteorological officials, causing more than 20 rivers to overflow. Some of the muddy waters in streets, fields and residential areas have subsided. But many places remained flooded, with homes and surrounding roads covered in mud and littered with broken wooden pieces and debris. (AP Photo/Eugene Hoshiko)

Japan looks for missing after typhoon, warns of mudslides

Rescue crews in Japan dug through mudslides and searched near swollen rivers Monday as they looked for those missing from Typhoon Hagibis that left dozens dead and caused serious damage in central and northern Japan. The typhoon unleashed torrents of rain and strong winds Saturday that left thousands of homes on Japan’s main island flooded, damaged or without power. It resulted in as many as 48 people dead, 17 missing and some 100 injured.

Read more: Typhoons

Two anti-Brexit people hold EU, Ireland and Union Flags stand outside the European Commission in Brussels, Friday, Oct. 11, 2019. EU negotiator Michel Barnier says that he had a "constructive meeting" with British Brexit envoy Stephen Barclay and underscored the cautious optimism since Thursday's meeting between British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and his Irish counterpart Leo Varadkar. (AP Photo/Francisco Seco)

As Brexit deadline looms, talks go on, queen to give speech

Brexit negotiators are meeting again in an attempt to reach a deal that would allow Britain to leave the European Union with a deal at the end of the month. Discussions centered on the difficult issue of the future border arrangements between EU member Ireland and Northern Ireland, which is part of the U.K. Amid the country’s Brexit chaos, there has been no annual queen’s speech for more than two years — the longest gap for more than three centuries.

Read more: Brexit

One of the protesters shakes hands with a security officer as they celebrate the announcement that the government cancelled an austerity package that triggered violent protests, in Quito, Ecuador, Sunday, Oct. 13, 2019. Ecuadorian President Lenin Moreno and leaders of the country's indigenous peoples have struck a deal to cancel the disputed austerity package and end nearly two weeks of protests that have paralyzed the economy and left several people dead. (AP Photo/Dolores Ochoa)

Ecuador deal cancels austerity plan, ends indigenous protest

Ecuador celebrated a deal President Lenín Moreno and indigenous leaders struck to cancel a disputed austerity package and end nearly two weeks of protests that have paralyzed the economy and left seven dead. Under the agreement, Moreno will withdraw the International Monetary Fund-backed package known as Decree 883 that included a sharp rise in fuel costs. Indigenous leaders, in turn, will call on their followers to end protests and street blockades.

Read more: Ecuador

A dog walks outside the Supreme Court in Madrid, Spain, Monday, Oct. 14, 2019. Spain's Supreme Court is set to rule on a rebellion and sedition trial against a dozen Catalan politicians and activists who were key protagonists in Catalonia's Oct. 1, 2017, independence referendum. (AP Photo/Paul White)

Spanish court convicts Catalan leaders for secession attempt

Spain’s Supreme Court convicted 12 former Catalan politicians and activists for their roles in a secession bid in 2017, a ruling likely to inflame independence supporters in the wealthy northeastern region. The court sentenced ex-Catalan regional Vice President Oriol Junqueras to 13 years for sedition and misuse of public funds following one of Spain’s most important trials since democracy was restored after the death of dictator Gen. Francisco Franco in 1975.

Read more: Spain