Is Hollywood Running Out of Ideas?

by Avery Drane The opinions and views expressed in this article are those of the author and do not reflect the opinion of Byte or Byte's editorial board. In the recent years we’ve seen an emergence of remakes and spin offs in films and television which begs the startling question: Is Hollywood running out of ideas? Disney has become notorious for their live-action remakes of several classics, which, to their credit, are sometimes amazing but just as often fall short. Disney’s repertoire of live-action remakes includes Cinderella, Alice In Wonderland, The Jungle Book, and, most recently, Dumbo. These films always prove to be a success in the box office and they play on the nostalgic feeling in all of us at the opportunity to see some of our most cherished and loved childhood movies recreated on the big screen.

Image from The Paw Print
Some may argue, however, that these recreations take away or diminish the effect of the original animated versions. This is when the questions of why begin to roll around in the heads of viewers. Why recreate such iconic films and risk damaging their overall meaning  for any reason other than the paycheck?  Another example of Disney’s lack of originality is the continuation of the Toy Story series into a fourth film. The ending to the third Toy Story film has quite often been praised for its emotional and moving wrap up to such a loved series and a fourth film could taint what most people thought of as a goodbye.

Image from Freeform
Invader Zim Friends  
The Paw Print Freeform