Alyssa Rothwell has proven to be a savior in the circle for Ball State Softball

<p>Sophomore Alyssa Rothwell throws a strike during the Ball State verses Kent State game April 6 at the Softball Fields in First Merchants Ballpark Complex. <strong>Carlee Ellison, DN</strong></p>

Sophomore Alyssa Rothwell throws a strike during the Ball State verses Kent State game April 6 at the Softball Fields in First Merchants Ballpark Complex. Carlee Ellison, DN

The role of the closer is one that is somewhat obscure but important at the same time. With three or fewer innings left and the opposition in a spot to tie the game, the circle in the center of the diamond is a lonely spot. 

While some might crack under the pressure, junior pitcher Alyssa Rothwell has proven to stand tall when all eyes are on her. This past weekend against Monmouth at the Madeira Beach Invite, Rothwell struck out three batters to record her 17th career save, setting a Mid-American Conference record. 

“It feels good to pick up the MAC record,” Rothwell said. “When I came into college, I didn’t imagine myself being in this role, and last year I made the adjustment to switch into that role. It was a huge accomplishment for me to switch into the role, to be able to help my team out and break some records along the way.” 

Rothwell passed Bowling Green’s Jamie Kertes who set the saves record back in 2015 with 16. Last season, Rothwell blew past the Ball State save record against Western Michigan Apr. 13, clinching her 10th career save. Early in the season, Rothwell has already racked up four game-saving appearances.

“She does an absolutely tremendous job for us in the closer role,” head coach Megan Ciolli Bartlett said. “She does a great job under pressure, handles it with grace and just sticks to what she does best. That just shows a lot of maturity and composure. She’s a huge asset to us and does an outstanding job.” 

The role of closer was new to Rothwell two years ago. However, she has proven to lock down on the mound. In her time at Teays Valley High School in Ashville, Ohio, Rothwell struck out 189 batters in her junior year alone and eventually led her 21-seeded team to a state championship.

“The adjustment was pretty hard at first,” Rothwell said. “I struggled a bit in the beginning of last season, and I think it’s because of a mental barrier I had to get past at first. I just had to adjust myself to being in intense situations. I always told myself I’ve been in those situations before and I’ve gotten out before.”

The adjustment did take some time, as Rothwell didn’t pick up her first save until the end of the 2017 non-conference season in a 10-2 win over Butler. She finished her freshman season with three.

However, that adjustment in the offseason allowed Rothwell to collect 11 saves in her sophomore campaign, blowing past the single-season record of eight. Rothwell said the mentality of staying calm and collected is what makes her so successful.

“I know going into those pressure situations that I need to stay calm so my team stays calm,” Rothwell said. “I just focus on what I do best in spinning the ball and trying to get us out of a sticky situation to keep the door closed or come back and keep fighting.”

Bartlett said the team knows how important the role of closer is. Having Rothwell in this position has led Ball State to four close wins this season.

“On really any offense you put her against, it’s extremely important for her to close the door,” Bartlett said. “She’s a huge part of our battery and our program.” 

Contact Jack Williams with any comments at jgwilliams@bsu.edu or on Twitter @jackgwilliams