Ball State receives record number of admission applicants

<p>President Geoffrey Mearns takes his seat before the Board of Trustees meeting Feb. 8, 2019. Mearns said an all-time record of more than 25,000 high school students have applied for admission to Ball State for the fall 2019 semester. <strong>Scott Fleener, DN</strong></p>

President Geoffrey Mearns takes his seat before the Board of Trustees meeting Feb. 8, 2019. Mearns said an all-time record of more than 25,000 high school students have applied for admission to Ball State for the fall 2019 semester. Scott Fleener, DN

The number of applications from high school students to Ball State for the fall 2019 semester has reached a record high.

At the Board of Trustees meeting, Friday, President Geoffrey Mearns said more than 25,000 high school students have applied for admission to Ball State.

The total applicants have increased more than 13 percent from last year, and acceptances and confirmations were also well ahead of last year’s pace, Mearns said. Additionally, 30 percent of applicants applying were as test-optional, consistent with the university’s projections.

According to previous Daily News reports, this is the Ball State’s first year as test-optional, meaning students applying aren’t required to submit standardized test scores.

Mearns also said philanthropic commitments to Ball State have increased more than $7 million for fiscal year 2019 compared to last year.

“I am grateful to our alumni and friends for their sustained generosity,” Mearns said.

The current total of $22 million dollars represents a 51 percent increase from the $14.6 million dollars in philanthropic commitments by this time last year, Mearns said.

Additionally, Marilyn Buck, senior adviser to the president and Ball State’s liaison to Muncie Community Schools, was thanked by the Board of Trustees and those in attendance for her 30 years of service.

“You were the most loyal, hardest-working person I’ve ever known at the university,” said Matt Momper, assistant secretary of Ball State’s Board of Trustees.

In an email Thursday, Mearns informed the university faculty regarding Buck’s retirement and departure from Ball State.

Buck said she will be leaving June 30, 2019, at the end of the fiscal year.

Contact Rohith Rao with comments at rprao@bsu.edu or on Twitter @RaoReports.