Men's and Women's Swim and Dive fall to Grand Valley State

Ball State and Akron swimmers race in the 400 yard Individual Medley at the womens swim meet Saturday Nov. 3rd, at Lewellen Aquatic Center. The Akron Womens Swim Team is ranked 1st in the MAC confrence. Jacob Haberstroh,DN.

In it second meeting with Grand Valley State in two seasons, Ball State Men’s and Women’s Swim and Dive were unable to defeat Grand Valley State as the men fell, 199-96, and the women, 175.5-124.5. The Cardinals saw six first place finishes on the day.

Three of the victories were picked up by sophomore Audrey Schank.  In the 200 Medley Relay, Schank finished with a personal-best split of 26.17 seconds. The Cardinals defeated the Lakers by 2.22 seconds in the relay. 

“That’s the best relay spilt that I have gone all year,” Schank said. “ I was very satisfied with that and it was a great feeling to swim that fast.”

Later on, Schank was able to win both the 100 and 200 backstroke events. She turned in a season-best time in the 100 backstroke and was 2.37 seconds off a personal best time in the 200 event.

“It felt really nice to win those two events,” Schank said. “I’m very competitive and just to go out and compete gets me hyped up. I knew going in I had a chance to win both events. I really wanted to take the win for myself because it meant a lot.”

Junior Peighton Gilbert also picked up her first win of the season in the 50 freestyle. Gilbert defeated the rest of the field by .077 tenths of a second.

“It was the best I had done this season, so I was happy with it,” Gilbert said about her 50 freestyle. “I was excited to get the win because I don’t think I have won this event before in the season.”

The men’s team was unable to win its events, but saw representation on the podium. Senior Cullen Tyler recorded a silver medal in the 200 breastroke and a bronze medal in the 100.

“It was the first time I actually raced the 100 and 200 this season,” Tyler said. “I was definitely tired at the end of both races, just because we have been training hard.”

After today's finish, Head coach J. Agnew said this was a tough day in the pool.

“We’ve had a great week of training and we were pretty excited,” Agnew said. “We just got on the bus and forgot to pack our legs today. We were pretty tired.”

After the Thanksgiving break, the Cardinals will be back in action at the Miami (Ohio) Invitational on Nov. 28-Dec.1 in Oxford, Ohio.

Contact Patrick Murphy with any comments at prmurphy2@bsu.edu or on Twitter @PMURPH505