Muncie Turkey Trot inspires family tradition

<p>A cyclist cycles down Muncie's Cardinal Greenway. For nearly 10 years, the annual Turkey Trot is held on the Greenway Thanksgiving morning for runners, joggers and walkers.<strong> Emma Rogers, DN</strong></p>

A cyclist cycles down Muncie's Cardinal Greenway. For nearly 10 years, the annual Turkey Trot is held on the Greenway Thanksgiving morning for runners, joggers and walkers. Emma Rogers, DN

Each year, families of all kind line up at the Cardinal Greenways Depot to kick off the annual Turkey Trot, and the Hellman family, who has been participating for more than 10 years, is no exception.

“My husband and I have done that for years and years and years,” Lynne Hellman said. “We did that before it was at the Greenway. It used to be over there at Ball State.” 

At that time, the Turkey Trot wasn’t even at Cardinal Greenways. 

It was created by a small group of people who went for a jog every Thanksgiving morning, said Angie Pool, chief executive officer for Cardinal Greenways. Every year, more people joined the Turkey Trot, and when it got too large, it moved from Ball State to Cardinal Greenways. 

This year’s Turkey Trot will take place from 8-11 a.m. Thanksgiving at Cardinal Greenways, according to a press release. 

“My husband’s a runner and I used to run, but now I do walking,” Hellman said. “We just like to be active and [the Turkey Trot] was just always a very fun event.” 

Hellman said usually some of her children and grandchildren do the Turkey Trot with her and her husband, but this year, her family won’t be in town early enough to participate. 

Pool said the Turkey Trot is one of the largest events Cardinal Greenways hosts every year. 

The trot will begin and end at the Cardinal Greenways Depot, where staff will serve refreshments during the event. 

“They always have a nice spread inside the Depot, and the kids always enjoy going in and having a cookie,” Hellman said. “Especially if the weather is bad, then everybody really enjoys finishing [the trot] and going in the Depot.” 

The walk is open to dogs as well, however, they must be on a leash. Hellman usually brings her 10-year-old rescue dog Dexter. 

One can register to run or walk the Turkey Trot on the Cardinal Greenway and White River Greenway on the Cardinal Greenways website. Registration is $15 for an individual, and $20 for a family of up to five.

One can also register at Cardinal Greenways on the day of the Turkey Trot starting at 7:30 a.m., and will begin at 8 a.m. 

Cardinal Greenways requests participants bring one non-perishable food item to donate to Muncie Missions. 

Contact Hannah Gunnell with comments hrgunnell@bsu.edu.