Three players finish with perfect records at Hidden Dual

<p>Junior Peyton Gollhofer gets ready to return the ball during the match against Buffalo on April 2, 2017 at the Cardinal Creek Tennis Center. Teri Lightning Jr., DN</p>

Junior Peyton Gollhofer gets ready to return the ball during the match against Buffalo on April 2, 2017 at the Cardinal Creek Tennis Center. Teri Lightning Jr., DN

Ball State Women's Tennis kicked off its 2018 fall season at the Hidden Dual this weekend. Alongside the Cardinals,  Dayton, Detroit Mercy and Murray State competed in the dual. 

The tournament began on Sept. 21 with a doubles round against the Flyers and two singles matches against Detroit Mercy and Murray State. In singles play, the Cardinals went 10-2, while in doubles they swept Dayton, 3-0. 

“We lost two match-breakers to Detroit which was disappointing,” Norris said. “We played well and the positive about that is the two people who lost those match breakers turned out to win their singles matches.”

In singles play, senior Audrey Berger and junior Rebecca Herrington won both their matches. According to Berger, the home advantage really helped her throughout. 

“It’s really nice to host this at home and it’s nice to be on our home court,” Berger said. “I’m excited to be out here with my team.”

Building off of Friday’s momentum, the Cardinals went 5-1 in doubles over the Titans and Racers on Saturday. The tournament concluded with a final round of singles action between the Flyers. The Cardinals swept the singles matches, 6-0.

In the Hidden Dual, three Cardinals won all of their doubles and singles matches. Those players were: Berger (5-0), Herrington (5-0) and senior Peyton Gollhofer (4-0). 

“You never think about having a perfect record,” Herrington said. “But you do think about playing in every match and playing your best. Of course, I want to win every match I’m in.”

Ball State finished the Hidden Dual with an overall combined record of 21-3. The Cardinals will travel to West Lafayette, Indiana next weekend for the Purdue Invitational.

Contact Patrick Murphy and Connor Smith with any comments at prmurphy2@bsu.edu and cnsmith@bsu.edu or on Twitter @PMURPH505.