Five Guys restaurant chain may come to Bethel Avenue

Five Guys is approved to begin construction on Bethel Avenue. Madeline Grosh, DN

A Five Guys restaurant is rumored to be opening in Muncie sometime in the near future.

The chain burgers-and-fries restaurant, founded in Virginia in 1986, msy open on 3911 W. Bethel Ave. near McDonald’s, Pizza Hut and Jimmy John’s.

The owners of the property received an application for variance – typically awarded to business owners who face an obstacle with the city’s municipal laws –  after the franchise began to search for possible locations in Muncie earlier last year. 

Applications also were filed at other properties, including 3000 N. Wheeling Ave, which was previously occupied by a Ford Men’s Wear that closed in 2013. The application was filed by Estep and Co. Inc., a company located in Columbus, Indiana, that is mainly known for its work with Subway.

As of April, the possibility of breaking ground on the property was not set in stone, but the Metropolitan Board of Zoning Appeals approved the application of variance later in the month. 

The man behind the project is George Estep, who operates another 20 Five Guys restaurants, 10 of which are located in and around the area of Indianapolis. He stated in multiple interviews that plans for opening another Five Guys in the Muncie area have been in the works for quite a while, but the process officially started over the summer.

Freshman psychology major Madison Small is excited at the prospect of having another burger joint in town. 

“I think it would be a really popular option, especially if they took Cardinal Cash,” Small said. “I think they’d probably do really well here.” 

The burgers-and-fries restaurant serves hamburgers in regular and “little” sizes for customers who desire a smaller serving. The burger prices include up to 15 free toppings ranging from basic pickles and tomatoes to jalepeño peppers and A1 sauce. 

In addition to burgers, the restaurant also offers hot dogs with toppings like cheese and bacon, BLT and grilled cheese sandwiches, signature Five Guys french fries — fried twice in peanut oil — and vanilla milkshakes with a variety of mix-ins ranging from bacon to banana to Oreo chunks.

The price for a cheeseburger at the Noblesville location is $7.48, a bacon burger cost $7.80 and a cheese dog was $5.13. A regular french fry is $4.06. Sophomore math education major Kurtis Stuckey said while the prices are cheap, he has mixed feelings about a Five Guys opening in Muncie. 

“I would be both happy and sad,” Stuckey said. “Happy because I love Five Guys, but sad because I would get very fat very fast. I feel like the students would definitely go to Five Guys.”

Contact Taylor Smith with comments at tnsmith6@bsu.edu