SGA to add 5 charging stations across campus

<p>Student Government Association senators converse at the SGA meeting Jan. 17 in the Student Center. <strong>Eric Pritchett, DN File</strong></p>

Student Government Association senators converse at the SGA meeting Jan. 17 in the Student Center. Eric Pritchett, DN File

Student Government Association will place five new charging stations across campus in either Woodworth, the Atrium or Cooper Science Building, said treasurer Kaia Thompson at SGA’s meeting Wednesday.

“The chargers are to help student safety and help students with the little things,” Thompson said. “Students don’t want to be like, ‘I need to call Charlie’s Charter, but my phone be dead.’”

There are four chargers located in Bracken Library and one in the SGA office in the Student Center. The stations offer eight ports for a variety of devices.

SGA has purchased a total of 10 charging stations as a part of OPTiC’s innovation platform point, Thompson said. They have cost $2,653.01.

Overall, SGA has spent $11,000 since its last budget update Dec. 5, 2017, Thompson said. 

The money has gone primarily to Cardinal Kitchen and SGA members' wages. Thompson said because of winter break, the budget had little activity.

In addition, senator Emily Neuhauser said she has started legislation to increase the number of printers in academic buildings.

“Students always have to go to the library to print. Not all of the academic buildings are near the library,” Neuhauser said. “If [students] have a printer fund, then we should have more accessible printers.”

Senator Kaleb Chowning said he is looking at paper straws as a greener alternative for dining’s straws.

RELATED: Trashing the trays is just the beginning

“Dining has won awards for their green initiatives. But one of the things they haven’t really addressed is straws,” Chowning said. “Small things like that are a big issues for the environment because they end up everywhere.”

Additionally, six SGA members will attend Indiana General Assembly Thursday to talk to Indiana senators and answer questions about Ball State’s SGA, said pro tempore Zoe Taylor.

Contact Liz Rieth with comments at ejrieth@bsu.edu or on Twitter at @liz_rieth.