SGA votes on budget change, discusses election voting booths

<p>Student Government Association president pro tempore Zoe Taylor leads a workshop at SGA student senate Jan. 17 in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center. <strong>Eric Pritchett, DN File</strong></p>

Student Government Association president pro tempore Zoe Taylor leads a workshop at SGA student senate Jan. 17 in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center. Eric Pritchett, DN File

The Student Government Association voted to take half of the funds originally allocated for National Student Employment Week in their meeting Wednesday, Jan. 24. 

The organization voted to use $650 of the allocated $1,300 to provide students with free T-shirts at Ball State Athletics "Social Media Night," on Feb. 6. The T-shirts will include the SGA logo in order to raise publicity for the organization, said treasurer Kaia Thompson.

“It’s a good advertising opportunity for SGA, and people will definitely come for free T-shirts,”  Thompson said. “With our SGA logo on the shirt, that makes people more aware of us on campus.”

Thompson said Athletics Social Media Night has received SGA funding for T-shirts in the past.

Additionally, the SGA Elections Board committee will vote Thursday on the addition of voting booths for SGA elections said Abigail Gibbs, elections board chair. Possible booth locations include the Atrium and Library.

“Students would still use a computer and their BSU login, but it would make it more accessible and help people realize elections are happening,” Gibbs said. “People sometimes delete the email [sent out for voting].”

Here’s a look at what some of the SGA caucuses and committees, which focus on different campus issues, are working on: 

At-Large Caucus

The at-large caucus is currently working to extend dining’s breakfast hours, said senator Ethan Summers. He said the caucus would like to extend the hours to either 11 or 11:30 a.m.

“Dining is already considering, and in the early stages for extending breakfast hours,” said senator Cam Bontrager. “We are going to write legislation to get that ball moving.”

Bontrager said the caucus plans to have legislation written within the next two weeks.

Diversity and Multicultural Committee

An event to promote hearing impairment will be held in the Atrium on Feb. 6 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., said senator Alexander Boehme-Mason.

“I felt there was another minority that needed to have their voice heard, whether was that was out loud or in sign language,” Boehme-Mason said. “I thought this event was a great way to do this.”

Off-campus Caucus

Senator Hannah Winters is working to extend Ball State Library’s weekend hours from 9 p.m. to midnight.

While Winters has yet to contact the library, she said she is planning to go to library and gain student support this weekend.

Contact Liz Rieth with comments at ejrieth@bsu.edu or on Twitter at @liz_rieth.