Indiana Department of Education searching for sponsors for summer meal program

The Indiana Department of Education (IDOE) is searching for schools and community organizations for the 2018 Summer Food Service Program (SFSP). 

According to an IDOE press release, the SFSP reimburses local sponsors that serve free food to children 18 and under in low-income areas of the state. In addition, some sponsors offer educational or physical activities. 

The sponsorship is open to public and private nonprofits. 

Organizations can partner with sponsors to open a meal service site in areas where children lack proper nutrition during the summer. 

Rural areas especially are need of coverage, according to the IDOE press release. 

In 2017, more than 270 Indiana sponsors served more than three million meals and snacks at over 1,400 feeding sites. 

“The Summer Food Service Program is an important initiative that ensures our children stay healthy and full when school is not in session,” said Dr. Jennifer McCormick, State Superintendent of Public Instruction in a press release. “I encourage schools and community organizations to partner and participate. With your help, we can make a big difference in all of our Indiana communities.”

The application deadline for potential sponsors is April 30. All sponsors will receive training on how to plan, operate and monitor their program. 

For more information, visit the IDOE website.