Student hit by car while crossing Riverside Avenue

<p>A pedestrian was struck by a car while crossing the street near the Applied Technology Building Oct. 20. The student was transported with minor, non-life threatening injuries. <strong>Brynn Mechem, DN Photo.&nbsp;</strong></p>

A pedestrian was struck by a car while crossing the street near the Applied Technology Building Oct. 20. The student was transported with minor, non-life threatening injuries. Brynn Mechem, DN Photo. 

Around 11:23 a.m., Ball State University Police officers and emergency responders were dispatched to a car vs. pedestrian accident in the 2100 block of W. Riverside Ave.

Witnesses said that the pedestrian, a student, was crossing the street in front of the Applied Technology Building and the North Quadrangle Building when she was struck by the car.

“I was walking with the dog in front of the museum, and I saw the girl crossing the street and then the car coming by and a loud thump,” said Ro Selvey, who witnessed the accident. 

"I think she was in shock. She was in pain and when I spoke with her, she said her left hip and her hand hurts. I think she was in complete shock and she was in tears, of course.” 

University spokeswoman Kathy Wolf said the student was transported to the hospital by EMS with minor, non-life threatening injuries. 

Wolf said that the driver was not a student, and as far as the university knows, has no affiliation with Ball State. The driver was not charged. 

This story will be updated. 

Contact Brynn Mechem with comments at bamechem@bsu.edu or on Twitter at @BrynnMechem. Contact Andrew Smith with comments at ajsmith15@bsu.edu or on Twitter at @AndrewSmithNews.