Village Green Records to host free concert

<p>Village Green Records will host a free concert Saturday on their lawn. The concert will start at 4 p.m. and is open to people of all ages. Samantha Brammer, DN File</p>

Village Green Records will host a free concert Saturday on their lawn. The concert will start at 4 p.m. and is open to people of all ages. Samantha Brammer, DN File

Village Green Records will host a ten band free concert Saturday, which will allow new students to get to know the live music scene in Muncie. 

"The VGR hosts shows throughout the year for all ages, and the Back To School event is one of our largest most eclectic concerts that we are always excited to host," said VGR owner Travis Harvey. 

The concert, which will start at 4 p.m.,  is open to people of all ages. It will be held on Village Green Records' lawn, located at the corner of Martin and Shadeland. 

"The Back To School show is both intended to be a welcome to new Freshmen, returning students and the community at large, inviting all ages," Harvey said. "Our live shows are held in the front yard sort of like a block party."  

Harvey invites other community organizations to host tables at the event to help promote and bring exposure to other local groups.

This year, Harvey said VGR is excited to host a diverse show, with performers from various musical genres. The ten bands performing are: 

• Webcamz — a punk band
  • Planet Boom Bap — Hip Hop
  • Clint Breeze — soul, jazz and Hip Hop performer
  • Caleb McCoach — Rock 'N Roll
  • Drake Turner — Singer/songwriter, folk
  • Metavari — Electro post-rock group
  • Harpooner, The Resource Network and Nicholson File — Indie
  • Cokebottleglasses — Experimental Electronic

In addition Hen, a dance-along comedy troupe, will perform. The bands are slated to perform nonstop throughout the day.

"The VGR live shows are a great way to learn about your local music scene, get inspired to participate and make new friends." Harvey said. "The VGR enjoys reaching the multiple audiences to share a great time with outstanding music to make people excited to branch out and participate with their art community."

In addition to the Back to School event, VGR hosts exhibitions in its art gallery, poetry readings and other live events throughout the year.