Field hockey beats Ohio 4-1

Midfielder Jenna Mckune keeps the ball in play during the game against St. Louis on Aug. 25 at the Briner Sports Complex. The Cardinals won 5-0. Kyle Crawford // DN

After opening up the season with a win on Friday against St. Louis, the Ball State field hockey team faced Ohio University. The Cardinals once again put up a higher number of goals up on the board, taking the game, 4-1.

“From last game, we just wanted to continue to score and score often,” Head coach Christy Longacre said. “We wanted to attack with numbers and play with numbers which is what we did today. We played a full 70 minute game together.”

The Cardinals went up early with a goal by senior Carley Shannon. Ohio would answer back, but from then on it was all Ball State. Freshmen Sierra Jefferson, sophomore Michelle Shampton and junior Anya Eicher all had goals in the win. Shampton also recorded three shots and an assist.

“Stick-to-stick passing was extremely important in our success today,” Shampton said. “We also want to work as a team and not play as individuals. When we work more as a team, that’s when we start scoring a getting more statistics.”

Inside the pipes, freshman Grace Chavez made three saves in the game only allowing one goal in. According to Chavez, her transition into the college pace of the game has been very smooth.

“Pre-season really helped a lot because it was a lot faster,” Chavez said. “These girls have been so welcoming making the transition a lot easier.”

With the team continuing to make strides forward this season, this win broke a three year losing streak against Ohio. After this win, the team looks to have the same result against the Bobcats in its official MAC meeting later this season.

“We still have a lot of games to play,” Longacre said. “The game against Ohio, that matters, is later in the season, so we are trying to take it one game at a time. We hope we have the same result later on as well.”

This game marks the final home game before a month long string of away games for Ball State. While that home field advantage may not be in favor of the Cardinals, they are still focused on what they need to accomplish.

“We have a game plan and certain set of rules that we are supposed to stick to,” Shampton said. “As long as we work together, being away should not be any different than being home.”