Stop signs to be installed near LaFollette Complex

<p>New stop signs have been added as a precaution during the demolition of the LaFollette Complex. <em>Reagan Allen // DN</em></p>

New stop signs have been added as a precaution during the demolition of the LaFollette Complex. Reagan Allen // DN

LaFollette is in the process of being replaced by two new residential buildings on the north side of campus, according to the Campus Master Plan.

As incoming freshman enter campus for orientation, they will be welcomed by new stop signs near the site of the upcoming $3.4 million demolition project of the LaFollette Complex. 

With demolition to the north section of the northeast tower starting this week, Ball State and City officials wanted to send a message to drivers to slow down and be cautious as they pass through the area. 

To do so, Jim Lowe, associate vice president for facilities, planning and management contacted Muncie street superintendent Duke Campbell about two weeks ago, requesting that temporary three-way stop signs be put in along McKinley Avenue near LaFollette. 

RELATED: New residence halls, demolition of LaFollette Complex planned for north side of campus

Campbell said the new signs will help slow and control the traffic as heavy equipment and construction vehicles move in an out of the demolition area. 

"If you come around the curve right in front of the building, the truck traffic is really heavy. Without signs, it's almost impossible for dump trucks to get out of there," Campbell said. "By installing these signs, we are going to be helping trucks get in out of the area and help keep everyone safe."

Signs will be installed as soon as they are located, which can take about 72 hours, Campbell said. Signs can be expected to be up sometime this week.