Ball State women’s basketball seniors Estel Puiggros and Annie Rauch share a special friendship

Senior Estel Puiggros (left) and senior Annie Rauch (right) pose for a photo summer 2023 in Spain. Puiggros and Rauch have been roommates and friends since their freshman year. Annie Rauch, Photo Provided

A friendship that spans years all started on the sixth floor of Studebaker East. 

New roommates often text, call or direct message each other before moving in together, but Ball State women’s basketball seniors Estel Puiggros and Annie Rauch never did. Move-in day of their freshman year was the first time they spoke.

Hailing from Spain, Puiggros said it was hard to understand the “funny and loud” friend that just entered her life. 

Rauch recounts Puiggros’ outgoing nature and, most notably, the high temperature she liked in their room.

“It was a big problem for us,” Annie said. “For the first month of living in the dorms we never spoke about the temperature but passively aggressively moved it up and down. I like it cold and she likes it hot.”

Laura Rauch, Annie’s mom, remembers meeting Puiggros for the first time. 

Laura wondered if the seemingly opposite pair would work together after that first day, but she said it was only a matter of time before the two were side by side. The teammates have lived together ever since. 

“Of course, we were shy at the beginning, but after a week or so, she was my sister, and I knew it was going to be like that for the rest of the year,” Puiggros said. 

Annie said she and Puiggros have the same “easy-going” nature, making it easy to become friends. 

“They just worked so well together,” Laura said. “They are very, very different, but they are the perfect pair.”

Navigating a home away from home 

Though they are described as a perfect pair now, their friendship started by helping a “thick-accented Spaniard.” Puigross was often shy to speak with her little knowledge of English at the time. 

“I did not want to talk much, but [Annie] made the time and effort to try and understand me,” Puiggros said. 

Through Google Translate or even their shared but limited proficiency in French, Puiggros said Annie made the effort. At restaurants, Puiggros asked Annie to order for her, but time and time again, Annie forced her out of her comfort zone. 

Annie said working with Puiggros was able to advance Puiggros’ English. Annie said the help was not just a one-way street. She said Puiggros pushed her out of her shell too.

Being around Annie also resulted in the Rauch family spending time with Puiggros. 

Since day one, the Rauchs have welcomed Puiggros as one of their own. 

“It would always be like, ‘You’re a part of our family,’” Puiggros said. “After a game, we would go eat. It is the small things, like Valentine's Day my freshman year, [Laura] came into the dorms and brought me a big basket. 

“It was great. I love them. They are my family too.”

Though she went through an initial culture shock, Puiggros said the Rauch family was able to make her feel more accepted in a new country. Even experiencing a difficult freshman year, Puiggros said their support and love made her want to stay a Cardinal. 

“It was a no-brainer having her around for family stuff when she did not have another option,” Annie said. “My family loves her. My mom is not a hugger at all, and I’ve seen her hug Estel multiple times.”

Whether it be food, gifts or adopting Christmas traditions from Spain, the Rauch family always wanted to make sure Puiggros was included and taken care of. 

“I hope she does not have to feel like she is a guest anymore. I hope she feels like she is part of the family,” Laura said. 

Brought together by basketball

Although their friendship runs deeper than basketball, the game is the funnel for their friendship. 

“Basketball brought us together, and it’s amazing that I am from Spain and she is from here,” Puiggros said. “I have a sister across the world, and I know I can come back here and see her or she can come to Spain.

“It has developed to the point that no matter what, I know you’ll be there.” 

The pair of friends were the only seniors in the 2023-24 season who had been Cardinals during their entire collegiate careers. 

“I feel so lucky to be able to do that with her for so long,” Annie said. “She would be a great teammate on the sidelines and a great teammate on the court. It was awesome and something I am going to miss for sure.”

WBvsOhio_04
Senior Estel Puiggros makes a sidearm pass to senior Annie Rauch against Ohio Feb. 3 at Worthen Arena. Rauch had eight points for the Cardnial win. Andrew Berger, DN

After a Mid-American Conference (MAC) tournament semifinal loss in 2024, Puiggros and Annie both wanted to cherish the last few possible games they had together in a Ball State uniform. Going into the final game, the two wanted to just have fun on the court. 

“We were laughing on the court,” Puiggros said. “It was not the ending we wanted, but at the end of the day, we have each other. We started together and finished together.”

Watching it all play out — as she had for years — was Laura in the stands. 

“It was fun to watch them and get to travel and see them play as a parent,” Laura said. “You have to cheer for both of them because they are both your kids.

“They get mad at each other. They approach things differently, they think about things differently, and so even if they are great compliments to each other, they still have those sister qualities.”

‘I can’t believe they are here.’

With Puiggros having been immersed in American culture for much of her collegiate career, Puiggros said Annie has always wanted to go to Spain. It did not happen freshman year, got put aside during COVID-19 and finally happened last summer, with junior Alex Richard also making the trip. 

“It was so fun to learn about someone else's culture and bond through that,” Annie said.

In her first time overseas, Annie said Spain was incredible — to see where Puiggros grew up, to spend more time with her parents and to be around her extended family.

“As soon as I left I wanted to start saving to go back,” Annie said. 

There are stories of going to get breakfast at five in the morning after a night out with friends, days on the beach and cooking food together. Everything that happened in Spain is something Puiggros will never forget, she said. 

“Every single second was like, ‘Wow, I can’t believe they are here,’” Puiggros said. 

EstelAnnie_08
Senior Annie Rauch (left), senior Estel Puiggros (middle) and junior Alex Richard (right) pose for a photo summer 2023 in Spain. The trip to Spain was planned after it was put on hold due to COVID-19. Estel Puiggros, Photo Provided

With the Rauch family taking care of Puiggros, Puiggros’ family was excited with open arms to welcome Annie to Spain. 

“[My parents] said, ‘You took care of our daughter for four years, now it is time for us to take care of you,’” Puiggros said. “It was great that she got to see my culture. It was full circle.”

An uncertain future, not an uncertain friendship

Years of living together and playing on the court will soon come to an end with graduation.

“They will be there for each other no matter what,” Laura said. “To have each other as a constant is huge. They use each other as a sounding board when they need to vent or talk about what is going on.”

Through the years on the court, living with each other and many other shared experiences, Puiggros said Annie will always be a part of her life

Puiggros said the two might not talk every day since they will be separated by an ocean, but no matter what, she knows Annie will be there when and if she needs her. 

Annie plans to finish her master's degrees in nutrition and dietetics and Puiggros plans to play professionally overseas in Spain. Annie and Puiggros have no doubt about staying in touch.  

“There won’t be anything that keeps them from being together and spending time together,” Laura said. “In 10 or 15 years, I think they will make it a point to be a part of their lives.”

Contact Elijah Poe with comments via email at elijah.poe@bsu.edu or on X @ElijahPoe4.