RECAP: Ball State baseball's winning streak ends after 10 games

Senior infielder Alex Maloney throws the ball across to first base for an out during the game against Dayton at the Ball Baseball Diamond on March 18. The Cardinals hosted a double header for this season's home opener and won both games. The Cardinals won 6-0 in the first game and 4-3 in the second game.  Kyle Crawford // DN
Senior infielder Alex Maloney throws the ball across to first base for an out during the game against Dayton at the Ball Baseball Diamond on March 18. The Cardinals hosted a double header for this season's home opener and won both games. The Cardinals won 6-0 in the first game and 4-3 in the second game. Kyle Crawford // DN

Ball State baseball's longest winning streak since 2015 came to an end this weekend at Buffalo.

The Cardinals (21-19, 8-7 MAC) won their first two games against the Bulls (12-24, 4-8 MAC) 6-5 Friday and 6-4 Saturday, but lost 6-5 in the series finale Sunday.

Buffalo won on a bases-loaded walk-off single from junior Chris Kwitzer in the bottom of the ninth.

Sunday's loss ended a 10-game winning streak, Ball State's longest since winning 10 straight from March 11-28, 2015 — which also ended against Buffalo.

In the 10 wins, the Cardinals hit .391 with a .449 on-base percentage and a .596 slugging percentage, but much of that damage was done in the first half of the streak. In three games against Buffalo, Ball State went 29-101 (.287), including a 9-32 performance in the loss.

Freshman right-handed pitcher John Baker (5-1, 2.53 ERA) came through with an eight-strikeout performance in Saturday's win, allowing one run in 6.2 innings.

Sophomore T.J. Baker (1-0, 5 saves, 2.05 ERA) picked up saves in both wins, striking out five batters without allowing a run in four innings.

Ball State heads to Victory Field in Indianapolis to take on Indiana (21-16-2, 8-6-1 Big Ten) at 7 p.m. Tuesday.