Incoming president Geoffrey Mearns to start at Ball State May 15

Geoffrey S. Mearns answers questions from the media before greeting students, faculty and members of the Muncie Community on Jan. 24 in Sursa Hall. Breanna Daugherty // DN

The Board of Trustees announced today that Geoffrey S. Mearns will begin serving as president on Monday, May 15.

"This is an exciting time at Ball State University, and we are eager to have Geoff join us," said board chair Rick Hall said in a press release. "Preparing for our centennial, guiding us to a new strategic plan, building on our enrollment successes — there's much to celebrate, and every member of the Ball State community is looking forward to collaborating with Geoff as we take the university to the next level."

Mearns will begin "relationship building" with key internal and external stakeholders and start learning about the university's history, as well as the opportunities and challenges that currently exist. According to trustees, Mearns will also oversee the university's resources and strengthen partnerships with "key constituencies."

The incoming president's on-boarding process will be guided by a Presidential Transition Committe, appointed by Interim President Terry King, and an executive advising firm, Franke Associates.

RELATED: What will be expected from Ball State's new president?

"Those resources will provide me with different and diverse perspectives that will help me make strategic, informed decisions for the long-term health and well-being of Ball State University," Mearns said in a press release. "I'm thankful to university leadership for providing these tools and excited to get to campus to begin working with the faculty and staff, students, alumni, donors and friends. Together, we will build a bright future for Ball State."

Mearns is the current president at Northern Kentucky University and will leave NKU after spring commencement on May 7, according to The Northerner.

Until Mearns' arrival, King will remain in his role as interim president.

This story will be updated.