New ‘Mass Effect: Andromeda’ gameplay trailer highlights weapons and abilities

Bioware released a new gameplay trailer for the latest game in the Mass Effect franchise, Mass Effect Andromeda. The trailer, which can be seen below, dives deep into the multitude of weapons and powers players will be able to wield in the new game.

Players will be able to make use of four different basic weapon types: shotguns, pistols, assault rifles, and sniper rifles. These weapons also come in three different technological variants.

Milky Way weapons are the traditional, projectile-based weapons that players will recognize from earlier games. Remnant weapons shoot energy beams, and do not require traditional ammunition; instead, they rely on a heat-based cooldown system. Finally, Heleus weapons shoot plasma projectiles and utilize heat-seeking technology to find their target. Players will also be able to wield melee weapons, from the slow-but-powerful hammers to the more agile shivs and daggers.

The video also highlights the skills and abilities that players will be able to use in order to defeat their enemies on the battlefield. Unlike the original trilogy, players will be able to access any skills or abilities without class restrictions. The abilities are split into three different trees: Combat, Tech, and Biotics.

Combat skills allow players to make better use of their weapons and armor and also allow them to deploy trip mines, flak cannons, grenades, and more. Tech skills equip the player with abilities such as Cryo Beam and Flamethrower, allowing them to damage enemies with elemental attacks. The Tech tree also offers skills such as Invasion and Energy Drain, which weaken enemies in order to take them out more easily. Finally, the Biotics tree gives players access to biotic powers such as Pull and Throw in order to draw enemies out of cover or even use them as shields. Each ability also offers upgrade paths for further skill customization.

Mass Effect Andromeda will be released on March 21 for Playstation 4, Xbox One, and PC.