MLK Celebration Day events begin on campus

<p>Ball State will host the annual MLK Day Celebration on Jan 16. Events for the day  will include a presentation from Kevin Powell, a free community breakfast and a march through campus. <em>Ball State Multicultural Center Facebook // Photo Courtesy</em></p>

Ball State will host the annual MLK Day Celebration on Jan 16. Events for the day will include a presentation from Kevin Powell, a free community breakfast and a march through campus. Ball State Multicultural Center Facebook // Photo Courtesy

The Multicultural Center and the Muncie Community MLK Planning Committee will be collaborating to host the MLK Celebration Day and Speaker Series from Jan. 16. to Jan. 17.

The events will kick off with the 37th annual Unity Week, which focuses on diversity, inclusivity and solidarity in a social climate.

The events, assistant director of the Multicultural Center Bobby Steele said, are to help keep Dr. King's vision alive. 

The celebration will begin with the MLK Celebration Breakfast at 9 a.m. in Student Center Cardinal Hall. Following breakfast, the MLK Unity March will begin. 

The march, which will begin at the Multicultural Center, starts at 11 a.m. The march will head toward Shafer Tower and finish at the Multicultural Center by noon. 

GALLERY: Martin Luther King Jr. Unity March 2017

After the march, students are invited to attend the MLK Worship Service at 6 p.m. in Christ Temple Ministries.

Following the worship services, Pruis Hall will host keynote speaker, political activist Kevin Powell on Jan. 17 at 7:30 p.m. 

The talk, "Looking for Martin: Dr. King, Community, Civil Rights, Social Media and the New Activism" will focus on the impact of Dr. King, the United States during the civil rights era and American society today, according to an article published by the university. 

The event will be free and open to the public.