Ball State men’s basketball wins third straight contest against IU Kokomo

Guard Francis Kiapway goes up for a shot during the Cardinals’ game against IU Kokomo on Nov. 29 in Worthen Arena. Ball State won 92 to 52. Paige Grider// DN

Ball State leading scorers

Ryan Weber: 24 points

Francis Kiapway: 18 points

Tahjai Teague: 18 points

Team shooting percentages

Ball State: 53 percent

IU Kokomo: 32.8 percent

For the third season in a row, Ball State men’s basketball hosted IU Kokomo and won big, 92-52.

The Cardinals made 16 of their 36 shots from beyond the arc — two shots shy of tying the program record for most threes made in a game.

Seven players connected from beyond the arc for Ball State, including a 3-ball from sophomore forward Trey Moses when the inbounds pass fell to him at the top of the arc with 1 second left in the first half.

“[Moses] isn’t supposed to get that pass at the three-point line,” head coach James Whitford said. “I will have to watch film, I don’t know if that pass was short or if he was hunting the three.”

Ball State struggled to pull away early early, leading by just five points at the 10-minute mark of the first half, but a 3-pointer from junior guard Francis Kiapway jump-started an 11-0 run to put the Cardinals up 26-10 with 7:27 left in the first.

After that, the Cardinals led by double digits for the rest of the game, taking a 43-26 lead into halftime after Moses's 3-pointer.

PHOTOS: See the gallery from the Ball State win over IU Kokomo.

In the second half, Ball State blocked five shots and recorded six steals in the second half, leading to 12 fast break points. The Cardinals had two fast break points in the first 20 minutes of play.

“I thought we blocked a lot of shots in the second half,” Whitford said. “Some of our transition was defense to offense.”

Junior guard/forward Ryan Weber led both teams 24 points on 8-13 shooting. He also chipped in seven rebounds, one assist and one steal.

Kiapway has found his offensive rhythm as of late, too, scoring 18 points after leading the Cardinals in scoring against Valparaiso. His six 3-pointers led Ball State from beyond the arc.

“[Kiapway] is a great shooter, every shooter goes through [a slump] from time to time,” Whitford said. “It was good to see him and Ryan come around, but truth be told I never really worried about that.”

Ball State will be in action Dec. 3 when they take on IUPUI at Worthen Arena. Tipoff is slated for 2 p.m.

“Everyone in our locker room is well aware that we will have a real test in here on Saturday,” Whitford said.