Light Up DWNTWN, monthly First Thursday event boasts local art, student work

<p>Muncie's annual Light Up DWNTWN will be a part of the city's First Thursday art gallery opening on Dec. 1. The event will expand the regular art gallery shows to restaurants and stores to promote holiday shopping. <em>Casey Smith // DN File</em></p>

Muncie's annual Light Up DWNTWN will be a part of the city's First Thursday art gallery opening on Dec. 1. The event will expand the regular art gallery shows to restaurants and stores to promote holiday shopping. Casey Smith // DN File

What: First Thursday and Light Up DWNTWN

Where: Cornerstone Center for the Arts and Canan Commons

When: 5-8 p.m. Dec. 1

For those who have nothing to do Dec. 1, DWNTWN Muncie is hosting its Light Up DWNTWN event along with its First Thursday art gallery opening.

The First Thursday, or ArtsWalk, event is a chance for local artists to show their work and host demonstrations. Several art galleries also feature works from different Indiana artists.

Light Up DWNTWN expands the regular art gallery shows to restaurants and stores as well. The event promotes the holiday shopping season and will be complete with the annual tree lighting. 

The Muncie Fire Department and Santa will light the community holiday tree at Canan Commons. There will also be Christmas singers, ice carving demonstrations, a train ride for kids, fire pits and concessions.

The Holiday Makers Mart will be in a heated tent, featuring art from nearly 50 local artists.

In addition to the community activities, a group of Ball State architecture students will have an exhibit at MadJax Muncie inspired by a research trip to Death Valley.

"134°: Architecture for Extreme Environments" showcases 12 shelters designed and built by students. The shelters are meant to withstand extreme temperatures.

Ball State professor George Elvin led the project, helping students identify features that can help humans live better in changing climates.

At the open house, visitors will see what extreme environments taught the students about sustainability and resilient design.

At Cornerstone, a new art gallery titled “Stop all the Clocks” will be featured. The gallery honors artist David Palm posthumously.

The name of the gallery describes Palm’s use of art to “stop time and remember life’s moments of sorrow, pain and joy,” according to a press release. His work includes landscape, still-life and street life paintings and drawings.

Palm, an Indiana native, lived in New York City before retiring in Muncie.

There will be an opening reception from 5-7 p.m. in the Cornerstone art gallery. The pieces will be on display from December 2016 through January 2017.

Both Light Up DWNTWN and First Thursday will be Dec. 1 from 5-8 p.m.