Two field hockey players win All-MAC honors

Senior midfielder Mikayla Mooney tries to pass the ball to an open teamate in a game against La Salle on Oct. 16 at Briner Sports Complex.  Mooney had two shots in the game.  DN // Patrick Murphy
Senior midfielder Mikayla Mooney tries to pass the ball to an open teamate in a game against La Salle on Oct. 16 at Briner Sports Complex. Mooney had two shots in the game. DN // Patrick Murphy

A pair of Ball State field hockey (8-10, 3-3 MAC) players were named All-Mid-American Conference.

Senior midfielder Mikayla Mooney made the All-MAC first team, and sophomore forward Darbi Gullett was awarded a spot on the second team. Both are winning a postseason award for the first time in their Ball State careers.

Mooney scored four goals, second-most on the team behind only senior forward Lexi Kavanaugh, and assisted two more this season. She also led the team with 28 shots.

She is the first Cardinal since Devanny Kuhn in 2011 to make the All-MAC first team.

Gullett scored three goals on the season, tied for third on the team with redshirt freshman Hannah Bohn. Her only assist came in the last game of the season against Central Michigan, when she assisted Bohn on a goal which clinched the game and a spot in the MAC Tournament.

Ball State, which made its first MAC tournament since 2011, will play MAC regular-season champion Kent State (12-6, 6-0 MAC) in the semifinal round at 11:30 a.m. Nov. 4 at Kent State. The game will be streamed live on the MAC website.