Ball State men's swim and dive prepare for first dual meet of season

Notable Cardinal finishes at Intercollegiate meet

50 yard freestyle:

Austin Green fourth place 21.81

Ben Andrew ninth place 22.31

100 yard butterfly:

Tanner Barton fifth place 52.83

Jacob Eckert tenth place 54.41

200 freestyle relay:

Cobie Fritsch, Logan Ackley, Bradley Ridge and JD Middleton eighth place 1:33:22

Ball State men’s swim and dive hosts Albion College and Rose-Hulman for the first dual meet of the season Oct. 28.

Head swim coach Bob Thomas said he has high expectations for his team.

“I will expect them to do their best regardless of the competition,” Thomas said.

The Cardinals have already seen Rose-Hulman at the Indiana Intercollegiate meet on Oct. 22.  The Cardinals placed second, while Rose-Hulman came in sixth out of the eight teams. Thomas said that finishing second at the meet was a surprise to him. During this week, Thomas said he has prepared his team just like any other week.

“It’s too early to put much emphasis on these early dual meets. The swimmers just need to work hard and compete,” Thomas said.

On the diving side, head coach Nick Gayes said he hopes that his team can calm down with the first meet out of the way.

“Being in our home pool should help our comfort level, and having a meet under our belt should reduce some of the nerves,” Gayes said.

At the first meet, sophomore Lane Sawyer posted his career best in 3-meter diving. Gayes said that Sawyer will continue to improve over the next meets.

“With Lane’s score, it is a good indication of how much he has improved during the offseason and fall,” Gayes said.

For this meet, Gayes said he wants his divers to be more consistent.

“We need to be putting up six out of six dives in the list, as opposed to three or four,” Gayes said.

The meets starts at 6 p.m. at Lewellen Pool.