WEIN AND DINE: Spicy twist on a soup standard

Valerie Weingart

Valerie Weingart is a senior English and vocal performance major and writes "Wein and Dine" for the Daily News. Her views do not necessarily agree with those of the newspaper. Write to Valerie at vjweingart@bsu.edu.

Today’s installment of "Wein and Dine" continues my Facebook food video experiment. Since last time featured an appetizer, I moved on to soup, which coincides perfectly with the arrival of crisp fall weather. Having tried a dish from Tasty, I turned to another dominant force in the world of overhead-too-simple-and-scrumptious-to-be-true videos: Delish.

This week’s recipe: Tex-Mex Chicken Noodle Soup

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

1 large onion, diced

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 medium carrot, sliced into half moons

1 15-ounce can corn

1 tablespoon dried oregano

1 tablespoon ground cumin

1 tablespoon chili powder

Salt

1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes

1 jalapeño, chopped

6 cup low-sodium chicken broth

12 ounces fusilli or pasta of choice

2 cup shredded chicken

Juice of 1 lime

Avocado, cheese, cilantro, and hot sauce for topping

**TIP: If you don’t want to buy cilantro, you can buy cans of diced tomatoes that are mixed with cilantro

Total cost: approximately $14, assuming that you have these spices on hand

Prep time: 15 minutes

Cook time: 20 minutes

The Good: This recipe lives up to the name of the site that posted it: delish, delish, delish. From the moment I lifted the lid from the simmering pot of ingredients and smelled the flavors mingling together, I knew that this was going to be an incredible soup. There’s an excellent kick from the jalapenos, but if you aren’t a fan of spice, you can reduce the amount of jalapenos to create a milder flavor. This recipe is definitely customizable, depending on your tastes or what you have on hand. I don’t know if one could ask for a simpler and more straightforward cooking process: measure ingredients, add them to a pot, let everything simmer and enjoy! I’d also recommend topping it with fresh avocado slices, which add a bit of mildness and coolness to this spicy soup.

The Puzzling: Since I don’t have any negative remarks about this dish, I’m going to share one of the more confusing aspects of the Tex-Mex Chicken Noodle Soup. Unlike the Tasty video from last time, the Delish video does not give measurements for ingredients; if you want to cook based solely on the video, there’s going to be guesswork involved. On YouTube, however, the ingredients and their amounts are listed in the video’s description. Not an overwhelming inconvenience, but, this does add a step. The most puzzling aspect of this soup, however, is …it didn’t stay soup. After finishing my first bowl, I returned to the pot of soup to find…pasta with stuff in it. And no broth. “But why is the broth gone?!” I cried, trying (and failing) to do my best Jack Sparrow imitation. I still have no idea. So, if you set out to make this soup, be warned: you will, by some miracle of science, end up with spicy chicken pasta.

Whether in soup or pasta form, Delish’s Tex-Mex Chicken Noodle soup is sure to add some warmth and spice to any chilly fall day. Happy eating!