HOW TO: Register for classes

For more information on registering for classes click here

The semester is almost over, and it is time to sign up for next semester's classes. If you've never done this before, then it can be overwhelming, but don’t worry because this is a how-to guide for signing up for classes.

The first step is to set up a meeting with your adviser. It can be hard to figure out what classes you need to take and when to take them, so your adviser is your best go-to on deciding which path is the best to take with classes. 

If you haven't already, you will soon be getting an email from the registration office with your time ticket. Your time ticket will tell you the date and time that you can start signing up for classes.

Once you have your time ticket and your classes planned out, then it is time to officially sign up.

Each course section has a unique five-digit Course Registration Number (CRN). You will need to look up the CRN for the section that you want.

You will do this by accessing the self-service banner and clicking on “Student,” then “Registration,” then “look up classes.” From there, you will look up the classes you want to sign up for and write down the CRNs for the sections that you want.

Now when the day and time comes for you to sign up for classes, you need to sign up as soon as you can. Space in classes is limited and you don’t want to fall behind.

You will again use the Self-Service banner and click on “Registration,” and then click on “Course Add/Drop/Withdrawal.” You will then type in the CRN number for each course in the individual boxes at the bottom of the page.

Once you have entered all the numbers, you will click “Submit Changes.”

Now, there are some problems that can arise. As mentioned before, space in classes is limited and there is no guarantee that you will get into all the classes you want.

If the classes that you need fill-up, then you will need to put yourself on the waitlist, so if a spot opens up, then you can get in to the class.

To put yourself on the wait list, you still need to put the CRN number in to the boxes and go through the normal process.

If the class is full, then the course will appear separate from all the others after you enter the CRN number. A drop down menu will be next to the course, and you will need to click on it and select the waitlist option.

If a spot opens up, then you will get an email from the registration office and can go on the website and sign up for the class.

Once you’ve done all that, then you will be officially registered up for classes and ready to conquer next semester.