Drops in alcohol referrals, arrests listed in 2015 campus security report

Excise Police arrested 71 people in the first weekend after move in. This number is up from the amount of arrests last year. DN FOILE PHOTO COREY OHLEMKAMP

Drops in arrests and disciplinary referrals for alcohol were listed in the annual campus security report, which the Clery Act for campus security disclosure mandates be released each year.

According to the 2016 campus security report released Sept. 30, 681 alcohol arrests or referrals (which do not imply arrest) in 2014 dropped more than 33 percent to 458 in 2015.

The majority of the reports from the University Police Department, however, were disciplinary referrals occurring on campus without arrest. Of the 458 alcohol-related incidents, 432 happened on campus, and only 20 of the on-campus reports resulted in arrest.

Increases in drug abuse violation referrals were also listed in the yearly report.

In 2015, 93 drug-related arrests or referrals were reported — a jump of just two incidents from 2014. The report shows 88 cases occurred in campus housing, with only 10 incidents ending in arrest — a drop from 27 on-campus drug arrests made in 2013. But referrals for drug-related incidents by UPD on campus rose to 78 in 2015 from the 54 issued in 2014.

Additionally, the number of sex offenses reported rose, going from 19 total incidents in 2014 to 34 in 2015. According to the campus report, 18 incidents of rape were reported on campus and another eight were reported off campus.

Stalking, which is reported as a Violence Against Women Act crime, also increased from eight reports in 2014 to 12 reports in 2015.

Other increases in crime last year included one case of arson, two cases of vehicle theft and two cases of robbery. Aside from the increases, the university noted reductions in burglary offenses, and no aggravated assaults were noted in the 2015 report.

Ball State did not list any hate crimes for the 2015 calendar year, and no incidents of crime were reported at the university's Indianapolis Center location, as well.