Botsford/Swinford hosts weekly book club

Botsford/Swinford Lobby with full-sized kitchen for cooking shows DN PHOTO ALAINA JAYE HALSEY

Fall Semester Books

- "Red Queen" by Victoria Aveyard, $7.10, paperback, amazon.com 

- "Bossypants" by Tina Fey, $5.41, mass market paperback, amazon.com

Spring Semester Books

- "I'll Give You the Sun" by Jandy Nelson, $6.70, paperback, amazon.com

- "Yes Please" by Amy Poehler, $13.20, paperback, amazon.com

When in need of some relaxation or a temporary escape from reality, some Johnson A Complex residents turn to Book Club. 

Botsford/Swinford hosts a reading group every Monday at 7:30 p.m. in the fifth floor lounge.

Resident assistants KateLin Doyle and Kate Smith started the club last year. Originally, the club was held on the fourth floor but after last year’s success and the RAs switching halls, the club was moved to the fifth floor and is now open to all residents.

For this semester the club will read one fiction and one non-fiction book. Members just got done reading "Red Queen" by Victoria Aveyard and will soon be starting "Bossy Pants" by Tina Fey after returning from fall break. While there aren't fees to join book club, students are responsible for obtaining the reading material on their own.

Casandra Bowlin, a freshman interior design major, initially joined the book club because of her interest in "Red Queen,” a book she read before joining the club.

"I've already read it actually, so I really enjoyed reading it again, though ... with a different perspective than what I read it originally as," Bowlin said. "I enjoyed getting other people's ideas from the book as well."

The club offers students an opportunity to share their perspectives on the same novel; however, Bowlin said if students do not like to hear differing opinions, book club may not be for them.

Juno Chattin, a freshman creative writing and secondary education major, said their love for reading stemmed from their childhood.

"I always loved reading. It was mostly Harry Potter that got me into reading," Chattin said.

Chattin said they enjoys the dynamic of book club and encourages others to join in on the reading and conversation.

"I actually really enjoy book club because it's not always just the book that we talk about,” Chattin said. “We talk about how the book compares to our lives and what it means to us. So, it's a very personal book club.”