Touring jazz, hip-hop ensemble to perform at Pruis Hall

<p>The Hypnotic Brass Ensemble, a group of eight brothers from Chicago's south side, will perform in Pruis Hall on Oct. 27. The group&nbsp;mixes jazz and hip hop with trumpets, trombones and a baritone.&nbsp;<i style="background-color: initial;">Hypnotic Brass Ensemble // Photo Courtesy</i></p>

The Hypnotic Brass Ensemble, a group of eight brothers from Chicago's south side, will perform in Pruis Hall on Oct. 27. The group mixes jazz and hip hop with trumpets, trombones and a baritone. Hypnotic Brass Ensemble // Photo Courtesy

What: Hypnotic Brass Ensemble

When: 7:30 pm. Oct. 27

Where: Pruis Hall

Tickets: $5 in advance, $10 at the door for students

Mixing jazz and hip-hop, eight brothers come together to change how students experience music. They say it is time for a refresh.

The group of brothers, hailing from Chicago's south side, consists of trumpets, trombones and a baritone, according to their website

The Hypnotic Brass Ensemble will perform at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 27 in Pruis Hall. For the five-dollar ticket price, trumpeter Gabriel Hubert promises a transformation.

“Be prepared to experience something different. Something good,” Hubert said.

Hubert accepts that students will go into the performance unfamiliar with the ensemble. However, he says he feels confident that by the end, students will remember it as one of the top shows they’ve ever seen.

One thing Hubert promises the show will be full of is energy and excitement.

“By the end, you’re totally in a nostalgic place of high energy,” Hubert said. “You’ve probably been sweating because you’ve been dancing and moving so much.”

The Hypnotic Brass Ensemble aims to involve the audience and give a sense of community.

“It’s almost like a reboot, so to speak,” Hubert said. “So people’s idea of live instrumentation or music is that anybody and everybody can feel it and enjoy.”

The ensemble is composed of sons of jazz trumpeter Phil Cohran. The group was introduced to music almost from the beginning. Their parents took them around the world and introduced them to music when one was as young as 3.

The brothers strive to pay homage to great musicians of the past while keeping an individual sound.

Hubert aims to make the ensemble’s performance memorable for students. He hopes to inspire both instrumentalists and non-instrumentalists with the heavy brass tones.

“Our influence in creating is just to create something that people would enjoy listening to,” Hubert said. “What music does is it takes you to places in time.”