Student organization hopes to empower women

<p>(From left) Vice president&nbsp;Cherrelle Bako, president Morgan Clark, treasurer DeShelle Blades and secretary Tyrah Brewer lead the organization Today's Black Women. TBW hopes to offer&nbsp;black women at the university a place to call home. <em>Mary&nbsp;</em><em>Freda // Photo Provided&nbsp;</em></p>

(From left) Vice president Cherrelle Bako, president Morgan Clark, treasurer DeShelle Blades and secretary Tyrah Brewer lead the organization Today's Black Women. TBW hopes to offer black women at the university a place to call home. Mary Freda // Photo Provided 

Ball State is home to over 400 student organizations, but one group, Today’s Black Women (TBW), is hoping to offer black women at the university a place to call home. 

“Today’s Black Women is a group dedicated to empowering black women and cultivating collegiate minds," said TBW president Morgan Clark. "One thing we like to stress to people is that even though we are very strong-willed and dedicated to empowering black women, we love seeing all people come out [and participate]."

The newly-founded student organization gives members the opportunity to get involved on and off campus through community service, and also encourages those of any race, ethnicity or culture to participate. The purpose, Clark said, is to share a common goal with students of all kinds to support anyone they can in and around Muncie.

“Community service is something we’ve really been striving towards lately," Clark said. "Especially last year, we had at least eight different opportunities where we gave our girls options to come out with us. We went to Second Harvest Food Bank, Mind Over Matter, the Ross Community Center — all types of places. Our goals are community service, empowering women and just having a good time sharing it with one another."

Clark said TBW also promotes leadership through group bonding activities and professional development. The organization's vice president, Cherrelle Bako, said her leadership role in club management has also been beneficial, allowing her to take on important tasks for the organization and taking responsibility to meet and recruit new members. 

“Personally, TBW has given me a leadership role, which is definitely important for me. It's good experience, and I get to see and talk to so many freshmen and kind of be like their mentor," Bako said. "Which is something that I think is really important, so I think the most beneficial thing is this leadership role that I’ve acquired through it."

One of the greatest aspects of the group, said TBW treasurer DaShelle Blades, is it also offers students a safe place to speak their minds.

“[There is a] sense of belongingness — it is a close and intimate group," Blades said. "Our body meetings usually range from maybe 25 to 30 people, depending on the topic and depending on people’s schedules, but there is still that closeness. You’re not in a large organization meeting where you’re sometimes afraid to speak your mind because you don’t wanna be judged."

An upcoming "Ladies Night" event is already in the works, and Clark said she hopes it will encourage more women to come to TBW meetings and get to know others there.

TBW meets every other Monday in the Ball Communications Building in room 103, and all students are welcome to attend.