Sorority members offer advice before formal recruitment

A member of Chi Omega hugs a new member at Bid Day  on Sept. 8 at the Quad. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY
A member of Chi Omega hugs a new member at Bid Day on Sept. 8 at the Quad. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Last day to register for formal recruitment – Sept. 7

There is a $45 registration fee that must be paid by Sep. 6, and the registration form will serve as a resume to be distributed to all of the chapters.

Welcome Rounds - Sept. 8 and 9

This round is meant for potential new members to learn more about each chapter and ask questions.

Value Rounds - Saturday, Sept. 10

During second rounds, potential new members to visit up to six chapters for 40 minutes each. This is a time to learn about each chapter's philanthropic events and the national and/or local charities they support.

Preference Rounds - Sept. 11

During the final rounds of recruitment, potential new recruits will visit up to two sororities for an hour each. These rounds provide the most insight into what each sorority has to offer, and following this evening, PNMs will select which sororities they would consider joining.

Bid Day - Sept. 11

Most of the most anticipated days of recruitment, Bid Day is when PNMs will find out if a chapter has invited them to join their organization.

Deciding to join a Greek life organization can be a big decision for some students, and formal sorority recruitment begins this week for those who are already set on joining a sorority.

Current members of Greek life said they're excited for the recruitment process to begin and want potential new members (PNMs) to know what makes going Greek at Ball State so great.

For Kate Stock, a sophomore member of Alpha Omicron Pi, deciding to get involved with Greek life was a challenge, but she said it ended up being her favorite part about college.

“All the women in my family were Greek; my sister was the president of her sorority, and I was a legacy for many different chapters,” Stock said. “I didn’t really know anyone coming into college, and I was feeling super insecure about not meeting anybody quickly, so I decided to sign up for recruitment at the very last minute.”

Stock went into recruitment blind and was shocked at how much she liked it. Everyone was friendly and seemed like they wanted to get to know her, she said.

Although sophomore Jackie Miller – a member of Pi Beta Phi – didn’t go through formal sorority recruitment, she said it didn't hinder her from waiting until the spring to through the recruitment process then.

But Miller that advised girls who are "on the fence" about going through recruitment should do it anyways, and do it now.

“[Girls thinking about going through sorority recruitment] won’t regret it,” Miller said. “Don’t wait for informal recruitment because not all sororities participate in it. It’s the best decision I ever made.”

Katie Long, a junior member of Alpha Omicron Pi, said she joined Greek life because she was looking for new opportunities. Having been the only person in her friend group who decided to attend Ball State, she was nervous she wouldn’t find close-knit friendships. Now, however, she’s the assistant recruitment chair of her sorority, finding ways to connect with new people of all kinds.

“My favorite part about being in Greek life is the people I have met and the connections I’ve made along the way,” Long said. “Not just within my own chapter, but Ball State Greek Life as a whole. We’re such a unified organization.”

Long advises PNMs to go out and run for leadership positions as new members, especially with the connections and experiences that come with doing so.

“The sky is the limit,” Long said. “You get out of Greek life what you put into Greek life. My freshman year, I sat back and watched sisters rather than stepping up as a leader myself – leadership positions help you build leadership qualities that you will need beyond your collegiate years.”

For those skeptical about recruitment or concerned about stereotypes that come with joining Greek Life, Stock said she wants PNMs to know that going Greek is more than what most make it out to be.

“It’s community service, finding opportunities around campus, gaining student leadership positions, study groups and finding a group of women who really love you for who you are,” she said. “That’s why I’m so excited for recruitment to start, because I can’t wait to find that one girl who’s feeling so obscure and out of place, so I can let her know that whatever she’s going through, a sister can help her out.”

Although there were 501 women registered for recruitment as of Aug. 31, that number is expected to rise. Formal sorority recruitment starts Sept. 7 and ends Sept. 11, and all events will take place at the L.A. Pittenger Student Center.