VIDEO: Bicentennial Torch Relay makes run through campus

The Indiana Bicentennial Torch Relay came through Ball State University's campus on Sept. 27. Samantha Brammer // DN

To see photos of the torch going through campus, click here. 

Hundreds lined the main road through Ball State’s campus this morning to cheer the torch relay celebrating Indiana’s 200th birthday.

"It's actually a beautiful thing to witness," sophomore biology major Rebecca Smith said. "I think it's great that students are out here to celebrate something special together, and having all the excitement on the campus is awesome."

The torch lighting ceremony was held at 9 a.m. in Heartland Hall at the Delaware County Fairgrounds. After the torch was lit, Mayor Dennis Tyler, the first torchbearer out of 24 from Delaware County, ran to the fairground’s entrance, accompanied by a six-vehicle caravan including Indiana State Police. Also in the caravan of official vehicles following the relay was Nancy Carlson, a retired telecommunications professor and organizer of the Delaware County leg.

Stan Sollars, a telecommunications professor at Ball State, ran the torch from Kinghorn Hall, turning left onto McKinley and running to the Scramble Light where he handed it off to Jeff Bird.

The relay has been making its way on foot, by boat and other vehicles through all 92 counties - a journey of 2,300 miles after starting in Corydon, the historic first state capital. The 24 torchbearers were chosen by a committee out of a pool of 60 nominees.

According to the Indiana Historical Society, the torch represents liberty and enlightenment. The torch used in the relay was developed by Purdue University and is equipped with GPS tracking and a video camera inside.

The Delaware County torch relay will end at noon.

This story will be updated.