Ball State hosts 16th annual Chase Charlie Races

Charlie Cardinal takes off from the starting line with the other runners during the Chase Charlie 5K Fun Run on Sept. 13. Over 150 people participated in this year's run. DN PHOTO JORDAN HUFFER

The Races are on Sept 17. The 5k starts at 8:30 a.m, Mile Mania starts at 9:00 a.m, and Kiddie 100 takes place at halftime of the football game. 

For more information, visit the Charlie Cardinal Races website.

Ball State’s Sports Administration Program and the School of Kinesiology will host the 16th annual Chase Charlie Races Sept. 17 where contestants will be able to race alongside Charlie Cardinal.

Multiple races will take place, including the popular run or walk 5k starting at 8:30 a.m., which welcomes people of all ages and abilities.

For participants under the age of 13, "Mile Mania," a one mile run, will start at 9:00 a.m. and Kiddie 100 will take place later in the day during halftime at this weekend's football game.

The races have been adopted as a course project for students in the School of Kinesiology and requires all majors within the school to participate in some way or another.

Athletic training majors also coordinate the medical staff, while exercise science majors implemented a health fair at the Boys and Girls Club and Physical Education majors advocated healthy lifestyles to the Muncie elementary schools.

Elizabeth Wanless, the instructor for the course, said the hope is that participants will enjoy themselves while on the campus during Family Weekend, while also engaging and learning more about healthy lifestyle habits.

“The goal of the event is to not only provide a fun, healthy outlet for the Muncie community, but to provide students with experience implementing community health events," Walness said. "You will feel better eating that hot dog at the football game if you have participated in the Chase Charlie Races that morning.”

Proceeds benefit the Sport Administration Fund for Excellence, a professional development scholarship for students.

Registration for the races is now closed, but students and their families are encouraged to cheer on participants throughout the racing route. The 5k race begins at Scheumann Stadium, advancing down Bethel Avenue to the intersection of Riverside and McKinley Avenues and back again.

After racers finish at the 50-yard line, food and Awards at the Picnic Shelter in Benadum Woods just north of the stadium.