Student sent to hospital after rollover

Bradley Jones // DN
Bradley Jones // DN

If a Ball State student whose car rolled over Tuesday morning hadn't been wearing her seatbelt, she may have died or been seriously injured in the crash. 

Instead, Rachel Lehman, a sophomore public relations major, only suffered minor injuries from the crash. 

"The seatbelt saved my life," Lehman said. "I came out of it with minor scratches from where I pulled myself out of the window and where glass flew."

Lehman was sent to IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital, where she was treated and released.

Lehman's car was struck by another car that was trying to cross from the Scheumann Stadium parking lot to another lot, said Muncie Police Department officer Gary Vannatta. She was struck in the rear tire on the driver's side, which caused her car to spin out and shoot across the grass median. 

Her car hopped the curb and went into the northbound lanes, Vannatta said, where another car struck it on the passenger side and forced it to rolled over into a ditch.

"She had her seatbelt on, and it did exactly what it was supposed to do," Vannatta said. "It completely held her in place. Had she not had her seatbelt on, we would be talking a different story right now." 

When Vannatta talked to Lehman at the hospital, she was in pretty good spirits, he said. 

"She doesn't have any major injuries," Vannatta said. "She got some abrasions, and is going to be sore, but nothing significant."