Bid Day falls on Sunday for first time

<p>Ball State's bid day falls on Sept. 11 this year.&nbsp;The event for new greek life recruits starts at 6:30 p.m. in the Quad.<em>&nbsp;</em><em>Stephanie Payson // Photo Provided</em>&nbsp;</p>

Ball State's bid day falls on Sept. 11 this year. The event for new greek life recruits starts at 6:30 p.m. in the Quad. Stephanie Payson // Photo Provided 

Bid Day 2016

Date: Sunday, Sept. 11

Time: 6:30 p.m.

Where: The Quad

Bid Day, the most anticipated day of formal sorority recruitment, falls on a Sunday this year.

Bid Day is the day potential new members (PNMs) find out if a chapter has offered them a bid, an invitation to join.

Normally, Bid Day has been on a Monday but this year, Student Life decided to push the day back to Sept. 11.

Kevin Carey, assistant director of student life, said the decision was made in order to be respectful of students’ academic commitments.

“With the welcoming back of members and new members on the quad during the celebratory event we also wanted to be mindful of those who may have been in classrooms nearby, as the energy is quite high,” Carey said in an email.

Before Bid Day, every woman who wants to commit to Greek Life goes through rounds of recruitment where they get to meet 10 Panhellenic Council sororities, figuring out where they fit in.

Recruitment events leading up Bid Day were at 5:30 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 8 and Friday, Sept. 9, which may caused problems for PNMs who had a night class.

Last year there were more than 1,500 people gathered on the Quad to celebrate and welcome 500 new members, according to bsu.edu. The atmosphere was filled with cheering, chanting and colorful, creative attire.

This year, potential new members will go through both the last round, preference rounds and Bid Day on the same day. Preference rounds begin at 8:30 a.m., and Bid Day starts at 6:30 p.m.