UPD hosts 4th annual Dunk-A-Cop

Lt. Terrell Smith of the Ball State University Police Department gets dunked by a student during Dunk-a-Cop on Aug. 25 at the Scramble Light. All proceeds will go to Riley Hospital. Grace Ramey // DN

To see more photos from the event click here! 

The University Police Department held its annual Dunk-A-Cop Aug. 25. 

The fourth annual Dunk-A-Cop contest raised money for children at the Riley hospital this year. Students had the opportunity to dunk a cop by the scramble light for only $1. 

The event was not only a way for students to help the community through donations but also an opportunity for UPD and students to interact with each other.

Sgt. Terrell Smith was out bright and early this morning and ready for the water. He has participated in Dunk-A-Cop since UPD began doing the event.

“This is our fourth year doing this, and it is a way of getting students to see us in a different light other than something negative," Smith said. "It’s a good community outreach program for our department and a way of getting to know the community.”

Emily Ramos-Niaves, a sophomore early child education major, thinks that the cause is a good idea for Ball State students.

“I think the event helps us to feel more comfortable with cops on campus, so if there is an emergency, we can always go to them," Ramos-Niaves said. "I think it brings us as students together, and it helps us to feel more familiar with each other.”

Smith also wanted students to know about the other events that UPD with be hosting.

“On day shift, we have a Lunch with a Cop program, that’s during 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m., where students can sign up for lunch with an officer, and an officer can meet with a student at any dining residency and pay for the student’s lunch," Smith said. "In the evenings, they have different events to present about alcohol and safety.”

Video by Kelsey Dickeson // DN