LotusFest to bring relaxation, wellness

<p>LotusFest is from 10:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. &nbsp;on&nbsp;June 4 at the Lotus Yoga Studio. All proceeds from the event will be donated to A Better Way. <i style="background-color: initial;">PHOTO COURTESY OF LOTUS YOGA STUDIO FACEBOOK&nbsp;</i></p>

LotusFest is from 10:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.  on June 4 at the Lotus Yoga Studio. All proceeds from the event will be donated to A Better Way. PHOTO COURTESY OF LOTUS YOGA STUDIO FACEBOOK 

LotusFest is a wellness fair which will be from 10:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. June 4 at the Lotus Yoga Studio. All proceeds from the event will be donated to A Better Way, which provides a variety of services, including those for victims of domestic violence and sexual assault.

The fundraiser started as an assignment for six students in a Yoga Teacher Training Course. Students had to design a karmic event, said Steve Gregory, a LotusFest organizer. 

“[The assignment] had to be something where you don’t get anything back,” Gregory said.

According to the event’s website, the group decided on a wellness fair in order to inform the community about the wellness services offered in Muncie and the surrounding area.

The National Wellness Institute defines wellness as the "conscious, self-directed and evolving process of achieving full potential."

There are said to be eight dimensions to wellness: social, financial, emotional, occupational, spiritual, physical, environmental and health. But that number is up for debate; the National Wellness Institute only considers the first six to be dimensions. 

These dimensions are pretty much anything a person can stress out about, Gregory said.

“[Wellness] is all about getting your needs met,” he said.

There will be several activities for those who attend the fair. Vendors will be selling items such as art, sculptures and jewelry. The food vendor will be the Damask Café. There will also be a fortune teller and a kids’ area with face painting and games.

Various people and companies will also be giving presentations. These include Bill Inman Art with an oil painting presentation, a presentation on goat milk soap, a yoga studio exhale by the Center for Creative Expression and Josh Medlin on shiatsu, a form of Japanese massage.

Entertainment will include drumming by the Shamaniacs, Rennaissance singers and the Jazzmanian Devils. Belly dancers will also be present, and there will be free yoga classes and chair massages throughout the event.

Finally, at 3 p.m. there will be a raffle. Prizes include a yoga package with a blanket, mat and a 10-class pass; a 50 percent off massage, aroma therapies and three massage therapy hours. Tickets for the raffle cost $5 each.

For more information on LotusFest, visit its website.