Ball State Quidditch player to represent United States in Germany

<p>Two Ball State Quidditch players have applied to play in the World Cup in Germany.</p>

Two Ball State Quidditch players have applied to play in the World Cup in Germany.

Walker and Bowling both have GoFundMe pages to assist with the costs of traveling to Germany. Team USA also has a fundraising page.

Editor’s note: Tyler Walker writes news for the Daily News

On Friday, May 27, Ball State quidditch player Jason Bowling received some of the biggest news of his quidditch career: He was going to Germany to play for Team USA in the Quidditch World Cup.

Bowling, a senior computer technology major, had applied for a spot on the team as a seeker in February, along with teammate Tyler Walker, a beater.

Their story was featured in a previous Daily News article.

However, while Walker was selected outright for the team, Bowling was selected as an alternate.

“I knew after the roster was released that there might have been a slight chance [I would go to Germany] if the other seeker dropped,” Bowling said, “but I never actually expected it to happen.”

It was during Bowling’s lunch break when he received an email delivering the good news — it came as a complete shock to him.

“At first I just sat there and read the email a few times to be sure it was the real thing,” he said. “I instantly got super excited and [now] think about it all the time.”

To prepare for the trip, Bowling has set up several different fundraisers, including Indiegogo and GoFundMe pages. He has also been talking with family and friends about helping with various expenses.

Walker was originally shocked to have made the team, but is more excited now that Bowling is going as well.

“[Bowling] has kind of always had my back this season, and him being in Germany gives [me] less stress for the games,” Walker said. “He is also one of my best friends and I can’t wait to travel around Europe with him.”

Walker thinks it’s amazing how two members of Team USA are from the Ball State team.

“We’re such a small program compared to schools like University of Texas or Miami, Florida,” Walker said. “To be able to send more [players] than schools like that is a testament to the quality of our players.”

Other teammates were also excited to hear about Bowling’s news.

“I was so excited when I found out [Bowling] gets to go to Germany, because he as been working so hard to become the great player he is,” Casey Richman, a chaser, said. “I am excited he is going to have the opportunity to put his hard work into action against the best players from all over the world.”

Richman said he can’t wait to see both Bowling and Walker represent the United States, but also Ball State quidditch.

“I know they’re going to do an amazing job,” Richman said.