Muncie Symphony Orchestra to host 1st-ever musical 5K

<p><em>PHOTO COURTESY OF MUNCIE SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA FACEBOOK&nbsp;</em></p>

PHOTO COURTESY OF MUNCIE SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA FACEBOOK 

Packets for those already registered can be picked up from 5-8 p.m. in the lobby of Ball Gym on June 10. Participants can also register on the day of the event from 7:30-8:30 a.m.

The price for registration is $30 for ages 18 and up and $15 for those under 18. Students, even those over the age of 18, can use the code STUDENT when registering online and receive the $15 registration price.

For more information on the event or to register, go to the event’s website.

The Muncie Symphony Orchestra is hosting its first-ever 5K fundraiser at 9 a.m. on June 11. This race is unique in the fact that there will be four live music stations throughout the course.

Chris Harrison, board member with the Muncie Symphony League, said he wanted to put on a fundraiser that was more of a “get up and go” event because many other MSO fundraisers have been more relaxed. Harrison also wanted to draw in more of the family crowd.

He wanted to make the event more than just another 5K, and did that by tying music into the event.

“Frequently at races I attend, there’s a DJ who plays music at the start and finish line,” Harrison said. “I thought instead let’s do a live band, and instead of just the start and finish line, let’s have one the whole way.”

He said because of where the musicians will be stationed throughout the course, participants should be able to hear music throughout the entire 5K.

Shafer is in the middle of the course, and will be played by Dr. Ron Rarick.

“The bell tower rarely gets played,” Harrison said. “I wanted to do something offbeat and new. I didn’t want to do the average garage band setup.”

There are currently 43 people signed up for the race. Harrison hopes that number will hit 50 by race day. Being the first year, he said he is happy to have just about any amount of people turn out for the event and also hopes the amount of participants grows each year.

The start and finish line will be at the David Owsley Museum of Art. The course will travel through Ball State’s campus, with musicians near Bethel Ave. and Noyer Complex.

Prizes will be given to the top three finishers in each age group. The first-place finisher in each age group will receive a pair of concert tickets. The overall male and female winners will receive a season pass to one of the MSO’s two concert series. T

here will also be door prizes of similar ticket packages.

Harrison said it was important to him during the marketing stage to be inclusive of those who want to walk, or run at a slower pace. Although the race will be timed electronically, he didn’t want people to think it was a super competitive event.

“Everyone is open to just walk and disregard their time if they want,” Harrison said. “I’m not trying to scare people off.”

This even goes into the name of the event, 'Andante 5K Walk and Run.'

“‘Allegro’ seemed to be a popular term for a race, because it’s a quicker pace [in music],” Harrison said. “But I chose to go with ‘andante’ because it was slower, and seemed more fitting for the purpose of the event. The slower you walk, the more music you hear.”