Ball State Wind Ensemble selected to perform in CBDNA conference

<p>The Ball State University Wind Ensemble was one of nine university ensembles throughout the United States chosen to perform at the&nbsp;College Band Directors National Association national conference in 2017.&nbsp;<i style="background-color: initial;">PHOTO COURTESY OF BALLSTATEBANDS.COM</i></p>

The Ball State University Wind Ensemble was one of nine university ensembles throughout the United States chosen to perform at the College Band Directors National Association national conference in 2017. PHOTO COURTESY OF BALLSTATEBANDS.COM

The conference will take place at the Kauffman Center for Performing Arts from March 15-18, 2017.

Bands performing at the conference:

• Ball State University Wind Ensemble
  • Michigan State University Wind Symphony
  • Northwestern University Symphonic Wind Ensemble
  • Oklahoma State University Wind Ensemble
  • University of Georgia's The Hodgson Wind Ensemble
  • University of Kansas Wind Ensemble
  • University of Miami Frost Wind Ensemble
  • University of Texas at Austin Wind Ensemble
  • West Texas A&M University Symphonic Band
  • UMKC Conservatory Wind Symphony (host)

The Ball State University Wind Ensemble was one of nine university ensembles throughout the United States chosen to perform at the College Band Directors National Association (CBDNA) national conference in 2017.

The conductor of the ensemble, Thomas Caneva, said this is a major accomplishment for Ball State and its music program.

"In the band world, it's kind of the equivalent to 'the final four' ... it's a pretty big deal," Caneva said.

Thirty-two different ensembles auditioned for a spot in the performance. Each was required to submit a recording of 30-45 minutes of music. But when the judges listen to the audition tapes, they have no idea which university's band they're hearing.

"It's a blind audition, so [the judges] don't know who the groups are when they're listening," Caneva said. "It's totally random, and it could be anybody. That makes it even better."

This isn't the first time Ball State's Wind Ensemble has been chosen to perform at the CBDNA national conference. In 2011, the group was selected and performed in Seattle.

Caneva said most ensembles won't get the privilege of being selected twice. The conference is only held ever other year, and only the "top-notch" ensembles can make it.

Next year, the CBDNA conference will be hosted in Kansas City at the Kauffman Center for Performing Arts.

While performing will be an honor for Caneva as the conductor, he said it's really all about the band members.

One member, Jason Gardner, played the horn with the ensemble. He also helped put together the audition piece as part of his role as a graduate assistant within the School of Music.

"I'm very proud of the fact that I, as a performer, contributed to these recordings," Gardner said. "And it was an honor to be a part of that, to have my input sought. ... When you take a look at the band programs that were selected, it's just a really prestigious list. To be mentioned alongside of those other really fantastic bands, it really speaks highly of Ball State."

The other university wind ensembles that will perform next year include Michigan State University, Northwestern University, Oklahoma State University, University of Georgia, University of Kansas, University of Miami, University of Texas at Austin and West Texas A&M University. The host of the conference, the University of Missouri-Kanas City, will also perform.

Gardner just graduated with his master's in wind conducting. Because he's no longer a Ball State student, he won't be performing next year, but he said he'll be in the audience in Kansas City watching his former bandmates.

Caneva said next year, while preparing for the performance, he hopes to take the time to enjoy the process.

"Our representing Ball State, the process of preparing for everything, ... sometimes we overlook that," Caneva said. "But we’re looking forward to performing. It's a long way away, but it's going to go by very quickly."