Emens offers exclusive, personalized content through app

<p>A new app powered through Instant Encore&nbsp;is getting Ball State students and the community more engaged in the latest news and events happening at John R. Emens Auditorium.&nbsp;<i style="background-color: initial;">PHOTO COURTESY OF THE EMENS AUDITORIUM APP</i></p>

A new app powered through Instant Encore is getting Ball State students and the community more engaged in the latest news and events happening at John R. Emens Auditorium. PHOTO COURTESY OF THE EMENS AUDITORIUM APP

App content

• What’s New

Shows the next event and the most recent music, podcasts, news and blogs.

• Events

Browse upcoming Emens Auditorium events. Get complete performance information including venue, dates, repertoire, artists. Access and review the program notes before the event.

• Videos

Watch your favorite and new Emens Auditorium videos.

• Buzz

Keep up with the latest Podcasts, News and Blogs from and about Emens Auditorium.

Source: iTunes App Store 

Kristi Chambers, assistant director of marketing and communications, said one of the reasons the app was created was to keep up with the latest marketing and public relations trends. She said people had also been asking if Emens had an app.

The app, called Emens Auditorium, is powered through Instant Encore, a company that creates apps for specifically for performance venues and artists, Chambers said.

“It gives you opportunities that you wouldn’t only just get on our website,” Chambers said. “You would get special offers, at-the-event features, social media interaction — so a lot more of a personal experience than you would have ... just visiting the Emens website.”    

While the app has not been heavily promoted, Chambers said they plan to market the app more next year when Emens goes through a re-branding to stay in conjunction with the university’s re-branding standards.

“This was honestly more ... to test the waters to see how it's working, get everything up and running,” she said. “It’s fully functional, but there’s still a lot of features we haven’t added that we still want to.”

One element they are hoping to add is an “At the Event” feature. Users who walk into the auditorium for an event would receive a notification with a digital version of the program, including exclusive content as well as insider information, such as details on meet-and-greets with the performers.

Erin Butler, a senior intern at Emens Auditorium, said students may find the app more appealing from a digital standpoint.

“If you’re not really paying attention to the print ads that are around, digital is a lot more appealing to our age group, and to have it right on our phones and quickly available is really nice," Butler said. 

The app launched last fall for both Android and iOS users.